Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

ColinLusk

Error Connecting: The Remote Server Returned an Error: (400) Bad Request

I'm getting this error message in Dax Studio 2.10.2 trying to import data from a Power Bi workspace. 

I've tried following some solutions given in other posts in this forum but not been able to solve it. I'm a newbie though so apologies if this is an easy one:

A developer set up a workspace and gave me a connection url to use in Dax Studio to import it. The format is like this

powerbi://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/blah.xxxxx.com\My Data Report

The developer can do this so there can't be anything wrong with the report itself, but when I try it asks for a login and password then immediately follows with this message in red Error Connecting: The Remote Server Returned an Error: (400) Bad Request

I don't think I am doing anything wrong - I am doing just what the presenter of this video does https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-hoiNq9RfE

Things tried so far:

Try swapping the rogue "\" in the url for a "/"

Logging into Power BI Web (I can see the data just fine but can't download it as an Excel file because the icon is greyed out. DOes that mean anything?)

Asking the developer to adjust my rights so I have the same as him - and generally to do any other rights-related adjustments he can think of

Using a different computer (Windows 7 instead of Server 2016 - both x64) and a different user account (a corporate one matching my active directory login)

Installing Power BI desktop

Upgrading Excel Anaysis Toolpack and making sure I have it activated

Uninstalling and reinstalling DAX

Connect using SSMS18 gives me the exact same message, suggesting the problem isn't specific to DAX

Things that seem non-ideal but I can't really change

Excel 2016 (not the latest but seems to be supported...)

Behind a corporate firewall (but I don't think that can be the problem because I can log in OK, and it says "Bad Request" not "Server Not Found"

I wondered about the url string having spaces in it. This seems strang and all the examples I've seen just have a workspace that's one word, but if that were the problem then it would fail for the developer too 

6 REPLIES 6

Have the same issue(. Premium workspace (not My workspace)

Is having Power BI Premium per User is ONLY a mandatory condition here?

Error Connecting: The remote server returned an error: (400) Bad Request.

Do I need other than Contributor creds on this workspace?

Thank you in advance!

jharbering

Can you figure out where exactly this permission had to be set? And which permission exactly!? I seem to have the same problem but I can not find anything related to "Customer Content Developer".

Best, Jonas

In my case, I figured it was the "Use Analyze in Excel with on-premises datasets"-Setting in the tenant settings that had to be enabled. Just for further reference.

ColinLusk

After a bit more back-and-forth, it seems to have been some kind of permissions issue but not an obvious one. I mentioned I was unable to download the pbix or the excel data in the power bi web page which was the clue he needed to add new permissions - Customer Content Developer" seems to have been the missing ingredient X in this case, so if anyone is having the same trouble then that's something you can try

dax
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @ColinLusk ,

I test this in my environment, which work well in my environment. You need to make sure the workspace is in Premium. In addition, you need to make sure your link is correct (powerbi://api.powerbi.com/v1.0/myorg/<your worksapce name>), then click connect, it will prompt authentication windows, you could pass credential to connect.

736.PNG

Best Regards,
Zoe Zhi

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thanks for the reply Zoe.

I don't think it can be a problem of the workspace not being premium or of the link being wrong because I am using the same link as the guy who set it up for me and he says he is able to connect to it just fine. If you think of any other things to check I'd be really glad to hear them.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.