Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

LucasCamargo
Helper I
Helper I

Error (429) Too Many Requests - Google Sheets connection

Hi everyone,

I tried to get my answer from other questions about the same problem but I couldn't find anything useful to me.

Basically I have a Dashboard with a Google Sheet connection and, for a long time, the refresh always worked well, but, since yesterday, the Error 429 Too Many Requests keep showing up and I'm not being able to update my data anymore (not on Power BI Online, neither on Power BI Desktop)Print2.png

Can someone objectively help me with this matter? I am not finding solution in links or redirected responses.

Thank you all in advance!

1 REPLY 1
v-jialongy-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @LucasCamargo 

The "Error 429 Too Many Requests" you're encountering in Power BI when trying to refresh your data connected to a Google Sheet is a common issue related to hitting the rate limits imposed by the Google Sheets API. This error typically occurs when there are too many requests made to the API in a short period of time. Here are some steps you can take to resolve this issue:

1. Reduce Refresh Frequency: If your dashboard is set to refresh very frequently, consider reducing the frequency to avoid hitting the rate limit.

2. Stagger Refresh Times: If you have multiple datasets refreshing around the same time, try staggering them to distribute the load more evenly over time.

3. Optimize Queries: Ensure that your queries are as efficient as possible. Redundant or inefficient queries can contribute to hitting the rate limit.

4. Check for Multiple Connections: If multiple users or processes are accessing the same Google Sheet, each access counts towards the rate limit. Coordinate with your team to minimize simultaneous access.

5. Use Power BI Gateway: If you're using Power BI Online, ensure you have a Power BI Gateway installed and properly configured. This can help manage data connections more efficiently.

6. Error Handling in Queries: Implement error handling in your queries to manage and retry after encountering a 429 error, respecting a reasonable back-off time.

7. Increase API Quota: For Google Workspace users, you can request an increase in your Google Sheets API quota. This is more of a long-term solution and might not be applicable to all users.

8. Cache Data: If real-time data is not critical, consider caching data at intervals to reduce the number of API calls.

9. Review Google Sheets API Usage: Check the Google Sheets API usage in the Google Cloud Console to identify patterns or spikes in requests that might be causing the issue.

10. Contact Support: If the issue persists and is severely impacting your operations, consider reaching out to Microsoft Power BI support or Google Cloud support for further assistance.

Best Regards,

Jayleny

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.