Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

DObiol
Regular Visitor

Emulating an array

Hi!!!

I need some help!

I have a trouble in many dashboards creating a measure that emulates an array.

For eample, imagine we have a table like the following, where each value of the cells is in fact a sum of values. This is very important because if each value you see was just one value, the problem would be easy to fix.

sum of M 1sum of M 2sum of M 3sum of M 4sum of M 5sum of M 6TotalMean
Concept 1574365305,00
Concept 2153748284,67
Concept 3213434172,83

As you can see, the Total column shows the sum of each line. 

But what if what I want to do is to sum only the cells where the sum is below the mean.

For example, if in concept 1 the sum of Mont 2 is 7, this value has to disappear from the list.

The result should be as follows.

sum of M 1sum of M 2sum of M 3sum of M 4sum of M 5sum of M 6Total
Concept 15 43 517
Concept 21 3 4 8
Concept 321    3

As you can see, the new Total excludes cells where the sum (not the values) is over the mean.

Thanks for your responses!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@DObiol add the following three measures and you will get it, breaking it down to easily understand everything, use the last measure in your visual

Sum Sales = SUM ( Mean[Sales] )

Sales Mean = DIVIDE ( CALCULATE ( [Sum Sales], ALL ( Mean[Month] ) ), CALCULATE ( DISTINCTCOUNT ( Mean[Month] ), ALL ( Mean[Month] ) ) )

Sales below Mean = SUMX ( SUMMARIZE ( Mean,  Mean[Country], Mean[Month] ), IF ( [Sum Sales] < [Sales Mea], [Sum Sales] ) )

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@DObiol , Are these different measures

@amitchandak , No, it's the same measure for all the cells. Just the sum of different values, containing month and concept.

@DObiol , replace Measure and Avgmeasure  with you correct measure and mean measure 

Measure = sum(Table[Value])
Avgmeasure =calculate(average(Table[Value]),allexcept(Table,Table[concept]))

Above Avg =
sumx(filter(summarize(Table, Table[concept], Table[Month],"_1",[Measure],"_2",[Avgmeasure]), [_1]<=[_2]),[_1])

@amitchandak Thanks for your response.

However, I think it is not working because Avgmeasure would calculate the average of each of the values containing a cell and a line, not the average of the sum.

In the example, for example cell containing "concept1" and "month 1" equals 5 as you can see.

sum of M 1sum of M 2sum of M 3sum of M 4sum of M 5sum of M 6TotalMean
Concept 1574365305,00
Concept 2153748284,67
Concept 3213434172,83

But in fact, the value "5" is the sum of other values, in this case "1+2+2".

So, when you calculate the mean, the formula will take into consideration the mean of 1, 2 and 2 for this cell, and the same for the other cells.

The idea is considering a cell as a value to operate, although in fact it is a sum of values. That's why I understand that this is similar to an array in other languages.

Thx!!

@DObiol I would recommend to post some sample data and expected output. 

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Hi again @amitchandak  and @parry2k ,

I will try to explain it better.

The idea is that I have a matrix where the columns are sales and the rows are countries.

The objetive is making a predictive calculation, and to do it, I need to filter the extraordinary months (in our case, to make it simpler, we are filtering months that ara above the mean).

The input table is the following:

SalesMonthCountry
1,001Spain
6,001Spain
5,001Spain
3,002Spain
8,002Spain
7,002Spain
4,003Spain
6,003Spain
9,003Spain
6,004Spain
3,004Spain
2,004Spain
5,005Spain
6,005Spain
8,005Spain
1,501France
9,001France
7,501France
4,502France
12,002France
10,502France
6,003France
9,003France
13,503France
9,004France
4,504France
3,004France
7,505France
9,005France
12,005France
1,251Italy
7,501Italy
6,251Italy
3,752Italy
10,002Italy
8,752Italy
5,003Italy
7,503Italy
11,253Italy
7,504Italy
3,754Italy
2,504Italy
6,255Italy
7,505Italy
10,005Italy

The initial result for this input database should be this one:

12345TotalMean
France182728,516,528,5118,523,7
Italy1522,523,7513,7523,7598,7519,75
Spain12181911197915,8

But what I really want to get as outout is the following table, where the total column (this is the objective of the calculation) is just taking into consideration the sum of two months since tje other 3 are above the mean.

12345Total
France18  16,5 34,5
Italy15  13,75 28,75
Spain12  11 23

I guess now the problem is clearer.

Thx!

@DObiol add the following three measures and you will get it, breaking it down to easily understand everything, use the last measure in your visual

Sum Sales = SUM ( Mean[Sales] )

Sales Mean = DIVIDE ( CALCULATE ( [Sum Sales], ALL ( Mean[Month] ) ), CALCULATE ( DISTINCTCOUNT ( Mean[Month] ), ALL ( Mean[Month] ) ) )

Sales below Mean = SUMX ( SUMMARIZE ( Mean,  Mean[Country], Mean[Month] ), IF ( [Sum Sales] < [Sales Mea], [Sum Sales] ) )

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Hi @parry2k , that was great!

Thank you very much.

You really helped me.

@DObiol , share the data in raw format

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.