Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

MVaughan1
Frequent Visitor

Dynamically changing assumptionss from Report view

Hello, I am trying to find a way of displaying assumptions that can be changed in the Report view.

I cannot share my data for confidentiality, but here is a representative sample of the data

ABCD E

Product 

Name

Actual RevenueForecast RevenueLast Year RevenueIs Actual Revenue(B) within 10% (Tolerance) of Forecast Revenue (C) and Last Year Revenue (D)
1X9001000800No
2Y700750700Yes

Tolerance10%   

My ideal scenario is to have a Tolerance level filter displayed on the report which can then be altered dynamically by the end user.  So in my table above, the ability to select for example 15% which would then alter column E results )

Any suggestions very gratefully received.

Thanks,  Mark

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @kohlivinayak,

I have got this to work, not because of the decimal but because my formula was in a calculated column rather than a measure.  

The Selected Value and IF HAS ONE VALUE functions both seem to rely on measures.   Not sure if this is basic Power BI chapter 1 that I skipped over but certainly a key learning point for me.       What is a bit of a pain is that it seems as though I will have to convert all my existing columns into measures.  I got this to work by changing my vs PY to a "SUM vs PY" measure..     I don't really understand why this is needed, but I shouldn't take any more of your time on this.

Thanks once again,  really appreciate your help.

Mark

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-yuta-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi MVaughan1,

"Is Actual Revenue(B) within 10% (Tolerance) of Forecast Revenue (C) and Last Year Revenue (D)"

<--- Could you clarify more details about your logic and expected result?

Regards,

Jimmy Tao

kohlivinayak
Resolver I
Resolver I

Hi @MVaughan1

I am hoping you already have the formula for the calculation and you are struck with the dynamic tolerance.

Create a new table (in excel or in power bi) having one column with values from 1 to 100 (or values you want your user to filter the tolerance on)

Use this coumn on the filter visual on the report (single selection only enabled).

create a measure as below

Tolerance value = selectedvalue(tolerancetable[column])

And in the formula use this measure in place of tolerance percentage.

Thanks

Vinayak

HI @kohlivinayak

First of all thank you very much for this - I really appreciate this guidance.   

I think I'm nearly there, but I appear to have a glitch which I wonder if you could help me on.

I have followed your instructions which were great, but I can't seem to get the Tolerance Value to change my column.   I have tested my formula and it works (so I can replace the Tolerance Value with eg "0.1" and it works).    The Tolerance Value appears to work because my table refreshes every time I change the Rev Tolerance (Filter)Value, but the results are always the same ie it shows a 1 for any negative figure in the "vs PY" column. 

Do you have any further ideas on this please ?

Mark

With the selection I would expect a "1" to appear in each of the rows in column "Rev vs PY (Risk)" apart from row 4 and 5With the selection I would expect a "1" to appear in each of the rows in column "Rev vs PY (Risk)" apart from row 4 and 5

Hi @MVaughan1

Please share the formula for us to have a look.

Thanks

Hi again @kohlivinayak

Rev vs PY (Risk) = IF('Finance data (2)'[vs PY]<[Tolerance Value],1,0)

If I swap [Tolerance Value] for eg "0.1", the values change. 

This is my Tolerance Measure

Tolerance Value = SELECTEDVALUE(Table1[Rev Tolerance])

And below I have shown a picture of the Rev Tolerance table.

Rev Tolerance Table.PNG

The value you are puting in rev table is text.

Please change it to 0.1, 0.2, 0.5 as such decimal values. (check data type before exiting the edit query, it should be decimal)

In the modeling tab you have an option to display it as % where it will multiply the number with 100 and add a % in end of it by default.

Screen Shot 2018-07-26 at 3.58.56 PM.png

Select the column name on the right side, go to modeling tab and below format just select % option.

Hi @kohlivinayak,

I have got this to work, not because of the decimal but because my formula was in a calculated column rather than a measure.  

The Selected Value and IF HAS ONE VALUE functions both seem to rely on measures.   Not sure if this is basic Power BI chapter 1 that I skipped over but certainly a key learning point for me.       What is a bit of a pain is that it seems as though I will have to convert all my existing columns into measures.  I got this to work by changing my vs PY to a "SUM vs PY" measure..     I don't really understand why this is needed, but I shouldn't take any more of your time on this.

Thanks once again,  really appreciate your help.

Mark

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.