Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

j0710
Frequent Visitor

Dynamically Expanding Table in Power BI Based on Slicer Selection

In my Power BI report, I have encountered a challenge where I need the table to dynamically expand based on the values selected in a slicer. Here's the scenario:

j0710_0-1710314359990.png

j0710_1-1710314571390.png

1. Initial Table Configuration: I have converted the table into "Unpivoted Other Columns" to allow users to control which columns they want to view in the reports. This enables flexibility for users to choose the columns they are interested in.

2. Slicer for Column Selection: I have added a slicer named "All Columns" that displays all available columns to the user. The user can select the columns they want to view in the table.

3. Matrix Chart Configuration: In a matrix chart, I have set "Main Channel" as rows and "Value" as the values to be displayed. This matrix chart provides an overview of data based on the selected columns.

4. Challenge: When a user selects "All Columns" in the slicer, only the first values of the selected columns are displayed in the table. However, I want the table to dynamically expand to show all values of the selected columns.

5. Solution Needed: I am seeking assistance from the Power BI community to find a solution to dynamically expand the table based on the values selected in the slicer. I want the table to adjust its size and display all values of the selected columns when "All Columns" is selected in the slicer.

Any insights or suggestions on how to achieve this dynamic expansion of the table would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your help!
mail ID : jack_test123@outlook.com

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS
j0710
Frequent Visitor

@olgad 

Dear Olga Dontsova,

I wanted to take a moment to express my sincere gratitude for your assistance,
Your solution was incredibly helpful and provided valuable insight that has greatly benefited me in my work.

Thank you once again for your support and assistance.
It is community members like you who make the Power BI community such a valuable resource for learning and collaboration.
pls connect linkedin : ) 
linkedin.com/in/jackson-s-652396240

View solution in original post

j0710
Frequent Visitor

"
I would do it differently. No unpivoting, leave the columns as they were. 

Do you know field parameters? Modelling-New Parameter-Fields then pick all your columns that you would like to display. 
Use this field parameter as a slicer and place it into the table. Can it be the table?? Matrix always summarizes, in your case it always took the first value. Why matrix shall be used?? 

"

j0710_0-1710394688784.png

this solution by @olgad 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
j0710
Frequent Visitor

"
I would do it differently. No unpivoting, leave the columns as they were. 

Do you know field parameters? Modelling-New Parameter-Fields then pick all your columns that you would like to display. 
Use this field parameter as a slicer and place it into the table. Can it be the table?? Matrix always summarizes, in your case it always took the first value. Why matrix shall be used?? 

"

j0710_0-1710394688784.png

this solution by @olgad 

j0710
Frequent Visitor

@olgad 

Dear Olga Dontsova,

I wanted to take a moment to express my sincere gratitude for your assistance,
Your solution was incredibly helpful and provided valuable insight that has greatly benefited me in my work.

Thank you once again for your support and assistance.
It is community members like you who make the Power BI community such a valuable resource for learning and collaboration.
pls connect linkedin : ) 
linkedin.com/in/jackson-s-652396240

Thank you for you nice words and feedback.

DID I ANSWER YOUR QUESTION? PLEASE MARK MY POST AS A SOLUTION! APPRECIATE YOUR KUDO/LIKE!
PROUD TO BE A SUPER USER!
Best Stories, Interesting Cases: PowerBI Storytime Newsletter
Linkedin Profile: Linkedin
YouTube Channel: PowerBI Storytime
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @j0710,

In fact, the value field is used on the matrix value field which only support to show the aggregate values.

If you want to show all match values. I'd like to suggest you create a measure formula with concatenatex function and replace the raw value field on the matrix.  It will show a text string with all matched value that concatenated by delimiter.

CONCATENATEX function (DAX) - DAX | Microsoft Learn

Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.