Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

isaacmunoz
Regular Visitor

Dynamic column calculation based on date range selector

Hello everyone!

I'm posting this message because I have been facing a problem this last days that I'm not able to solve. I have looked for an answer on the forums but unfortunately I didn't found for my case. So I would be pleased if you can give some help about how to solve it or have the confirmation that is impossible to do in PowerBI what I want to achieve.

What I want to achieve:
I trying to construct a report based in a data model that contains different opportunities and different reference dates for each opportunity. 

isaacmunoz_0-1655738582549.png

The main purpose of this report is to obtain the minimum (oldest) reference date for each opportunity when selecting a date range. Therefore it should be a dynamic calculation. To do so, I have included a date range selector based on a Date table linked with the reference dates:

isaacmunoz_1-1655739506899.png

isaacmunoz_2-1655739547031.png

Problem:
Altough I have created a solution that works statically:

isaacmunoz_3-1655739758160.png

The problem comes up when I select a date as minimum date range that is more recent than the first reference date of an opportunity. In this case, in the table the reference dates by opportunities will appear filtered by the date range selector but the calculation of the minimum reference date will not be dynamically recalculated:

isaacmunoz_4-1655739921450.png

For both the "DataHub" and "GoQu opportunity it should display 13/06/2022 as the min reference date. But, instead it displays the one that works when there is no date filter applied.

The code that I used for the "Min reference date" calculated column is:

Min reference date = 
VAR opportunity = [Opportunity]
var calc = CALCULATE(MIN('Open Opportunities'[Reference Date]); FILTER('Open Opportunities'; 'Open Opportunities'[Opportunity] = opportunity && 'Open Opportunities'[Reference Date] >= VALUE(MIN('Date'[Date]))))
return calc

Hope you can help me! Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-cgao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @isaacmunoz ,

Please try this measure.

Min reference date = 
VAR _min_date =
    MIN ( 'Date'[Date] )
VAR _max_date =
    MAX ( 'Date'[Date] )
VAR _result =
    CALCULATE (
        MIN ( 'Open Opportunities'[Reference Date] ),
        FILTER (
            ALL ( 'Open Opportunities' ),
            'Open Opportunities'[Opportunity] = MAX ( 'Open Opportunities'[Opportunity] )
                && 'Open Opportunities'[Reference Date] >= _min_date
                && 'Open Opportunities'[Reference Date] <= _max_date
        )
    )
RETURN
    _result

vcgaomsft_0-1655966688543.png

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-cgao-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @isaacmunoz ,

Please try this measure.

Min reference date = 
VAR _min_date =
    MIN ( 'Date'[Date] )
VAR _max_date =
    MAX ( 'Date'[Date] )
VAR _result =
    CALCULATE (
        MIN ( 'Open Opportunities'[Reference Date] ),
        FILTER (
            ALL ( 'Open Opportunities' ),
            'Open Opportunities'[Opportunity] = MAX ( 'Open Opportunities'[Opportunity] )
                && 'Open Opportunities'[Reference Date] >= _min_date
                && 'Open Opportunities'[Reference Date] <= _max_date
        )
    )
RETURN
    _result

vcgaomsft_0-1655966688543.png

Best Regards,
Gao

Community Support Team

If there is any post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly. If I misunderstand your needs or you still have problems on it, please feel free to let us know. Thanks a lot!

How to get your questions answered quickly -- How to provide sample data

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.