Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

bremnnat
Frequent Visitor

Dynamic Rows based on Column Slicer Selection

Hello,

I'm attempting to recreate a report that was once created in Tableau. This report has a table with columns "A, B, C, D, E, etc." and I want to be able to dynamically switch between these columns on the rows of my matrix using a slicer or filter like I see on tableau. The formula used in tableau looks like this:

CASE [Group by]
WHEN 'A' THEN [A]
WHEN 'B' THEN [B]
WHEN 'C' THEN [C]
WHEN 'D' THEN [D]
WHEN 'E' THEN [E]
WHEN 'F' THEN [F]
WHEN 'G' THEN [G]
ELSE ''
END

The reference column is then put into a slicer/filter and by selecting each value it would return the designated column from the main table. Is there any way to replicate this in Power BI? I was able to recreate something very similar for the measures of my table which works very well, however since I want this to be on the rows for the matrix I, unfortunately, cannot add a measure to that field. It also will not work for calculated tables and columns and returns with an error message of "A table of multiple values was supplied where a single value was expected."

Any help would be very much appreciated because this feature is very important for my report as it is used more as a tool rather than a report.

Best,

Nathan

3 REPLIES 3
v-chuncz-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@bremnnat,

You may select Unpivot Columns in the Query Editor, then drag Attribute to Field for Slicer and Value to Rows for Matrix.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-chuncz-msft I believe that I need to make a connection to my original data source somehow, but I do not know the best way to go about doing that. I do not have any columns that are similar between the two.

@bremnnat,

Your new requirement is not very clear to me. More detailed information are expected.

Community Support Team _ Sam Zha
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.