Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dynamic Decimal Places

Hi,

I am currently dealing with an issue whereby I want the number of decimal places for a measure be dynamic.

The use case is, if I select Option A in a slicer, the measure shows 2 decimal places. If I then select Option B for the slicer, the measure will show 1 decimal place.

However, I also need to keep the measure as a number, not text.

My current Dax is:

Measure 2 = 
IF(HASONEVALUE(Table[Slicer]) && VALUES(Table[Slicer]) = "A", 
FORMAT(ROUND([Measure1], 2), ""), 
FORMAT(ROUND([Measure1], 1), ""))

This returns the correct values but as text not a number. Is anyone able to help? Cheers

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Anonymous ,

It seems impossible to make the number fields show with one decimal place and two decimal places at the same time if you still want to keep its data type as Numeric type...

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

What are using format round should be enough

Measure 2 =
IF(HASONEVALUE(Table[Slicer]) && VALUES(Table[Slicer]) = "A",
ROUND([Measure1], 2),
ROUND([Measure1], 1))

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried this, but when I toggle to Option B, I am left with trailing 0's.

E.g. If Table[Slicer] = "B"

My values will be:

And so on. I need them to be 9.8, 8.4.... 

This is when the number of decimal places for the filed formatting and the matrix formatting are both auto.

Hi @Anonymous ,

It seems impossible to make the number fields show with one decimal place and two decimal places at the same time if you still want to keep its data type as Numeric type...

Best Regards

Rena

Community Support Team _ Rena
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @v-yiruan-msft,

Thanks for the straight answer. I am currently using a workaround solution with one matrix column containing text with dynamic decimals, then another column with numeric values for the data bars (without data labels). Obviously not an ideal solution.

Would you recommend submitting this as a feature request?

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.