Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

bhelp2021
Frequent Visitor

Dynamic Date Conditional

Hello,

I need help charting tickets based on a dyamnic date where the user can select a date and see the status of open tickets at that point of time, then i need to chart a monthly graph of the aggregate open tickets. Is that possible?

Open DateClose DateStatus
9/1/2211/1/22Closed
9/1/22 Open
9/1/2210/1/22Closed
10/15/2211/1/22Closed

My measurement Cards for Closed/Open for today 11/30/22 would tell us 3 Orders are closed, 1 is open. Open Tickets are summarized by Calculate(Countrows([Table]),Filter(Not(isblank(Closed Date) so status is just sourced data.

Is it possible to dynamically view results of 10/2/22? Where the Results would show 1 Closed, 2 Open, and ignore the future opened ticket? And then expressing the aggregate totals in a chart by each month, by perhaps couting open tickets with open dates prior to the given month without a close date or a close date beyond that month?

The idea is, instead of reviewing todays "State of the world" review the "state of the world" from previous points in time.

3 REPLIES 3
v-easonf-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi, @bhelp2021 

If you have a calendar table, you can try measure formula like:

Closed_ticket = 
VAR _date =
    MAX ( 'Calendar'[Date] )
RETURN
    CALCULATE (
        COUNTROWS ( 'Table' ),
        FILTER (
            ALL ( 'Table' ),
            'Table'[Close Date] <> BLANK ()
                && 'Table'[Close Date] <= _date
        )
    ) + 0
Opened_ticket = 
CALCULATE (
    COUNTROWS ( 'Table' ),
    'Table'[Open Date] <= MAX ( 'Calendar'[Date] )
) - [Closed_ticket]

Then you can apply them to line chart.

Best Regards,
Community Support Team _ Eason

This is very very helpful and getting me closer to the solution.

I attempted both measurements. Two needs of clarfication- Closed Tickets, its counting all closed tickets in the query, dating back to 2015. To simpify, I added a hard date filter of [Open] > Date( 2022,1,1) to stay relevant, although I am missing any open/not closed tickets from prior years...

Secondly, the Open_Ticket doesnt appear to be a running total. Snip of the table:

bhelp2021_0-1669901746433.png

I believe my issue here is this open measurement is giving us an "opened on this day" and therefore, the formula is simply [ Opened Tickets on Given Day - Total Closed Tickets in Period] which results in large negative figures. Can you help clarify on how to create the open measurements as a running total?

The issue appears to lie with filters. what change would need to be made for filters to work properly? If i added a filter slicer for, say, state order was made, how can i ensure the totals are including the filter. 

The above snip was the result of me selecting a filtered field.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.