Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

dmac412
Advocate I
Advocate I

Dual Storage Mode - not acting as direct query

Hi everyone, 

So I have a few questions about a dual storage mode table. 

I have an aggregate ( composite) model setup with a few dimensions in dual storage mode.

We embedded our report and on the website give the user ability to change some aspects of a dimensions (group things together ect.). They expect to see the changes instantly. Since the dual table stores a version of the table in memory, we dont see the changes take effect instantly. When refreshing the model they will come through. 

Is this performing as designed?Is there a way to get the table to act as direct query? Through the api can i force a refresh of one table? xmla endpoint may be able to refresh one table but i dont think its out yet?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

Is this performing as designed?

Yes this is performing as designed. When you have aggregations it's up to you to manage the refreshing of the import and dual mode tables.

Is there a way to get the table to act as direct query? 

I think you'd have to switch the table out of dual mode and make it Direct Query. But then any query using this table would not be able to use the aggregations.

Through the api can i force a refresh of one table? xmla endpoint may be able to refresh one table but i dont think its out yet?

I think the xmla endpoint is the only way to do this. This feature is still in preview, but If you have the model on premium capacity you should be able to enable the xmla endpoint on your workspace.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
d_gosbell
Super User
Super User

Is this performing as designed?

Yes this is performing as designed. When you have aggregations it's up to you to manage the refreshing of the import and dual mode tables.

Is there a way to get the table to act as direct query? 

I think you'd have to switch the table out of dual mode and make it Direct Query. But then any query using this table would not be able to use the aggregations.

Through the api can i force a refresh of one table? xmla endpoint may be able to refresh one table but i dont think its out yet?

I think the xmla endpoint is the only way to do this. This feature is still in preview, but If you have the model on premium capacity you should be able to enable the xmla endpoint on your workspace.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.