Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

sfink22
Helper I
Helper I

Dropdown/selection option in table?

I am building a project planning dashboard. I have a table that pulls new/unassigned projects with their corresponding work commitment and phasing. I have a timeline chart at the bottom that plots the current work deadlines over the course of the year. I would like to be able to run scenarios where I can assign the new projects to different project owners, and check how it affects their work timeline on the chart. The idea is to be able to figure out how best to assign projects so that the workload is evenly distributed across owners.

The only way I can think to make this dynamic enough to be useful is if there is a dropdown option to choose the project owner in the table, but I can't figure out a way to do it or if it is even possible. I know how I could do this in Excel, but I'm not sure how Power BI could do it without overwriting the data pulled from the query. That would actually be ok as I have a separate query for the new projects, so it would not affect the original data set used throughout the rest of the report.

Photo below to hopefully make more sense.

Timeline Example.JPG

3 REPLIES 3
AndreaMeras
Frequent Visitor

Hi! Did you find a solution? I need to do the exact same thing

Regards, Andrea

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sfink22 ,

Or what you want may be a Parameter?

Reference:

Power BI Desktop Query Parameters, Part 1;

Power BI Desktop Query Parameters, Part2 – Dynamic Data Masking and Query Parameters;

Power BI Desktop Query Parameters, Part 3, List Output.

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Icey
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @sfink22 ,

You can use a slicer to select Owners.

If it is not what you want, please share a specific example to help me better understand your requirements.

Best Regards,

Icey

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.