Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Almizu
Frequent Visitor

Drilling Down Forecast Line Chart Unselects "Continuous" - Removes forecast

Hello,

I have built a main dataset in Power BI that I am using to feed some other datasets and reports with. I noticed that in the main data set I am able to build a line chart and add in the forecasting tool with my Calendar Dimension table. With this I am able to drill down at the year, quarter and then month level and the report type stays "Continuous" and gives a forecast at each level. 

When I attempt to do the same thing in one of the reports that is tied to this data set, as soon as I drill down past the year level the line chart changes to "categorical" and the forecasting disapears. I have double checked overall report settings and have played around with using a different date table without good results. The thing is that I am currently doing this in a different reporting structure and it works fine with no issues. I cannot seem to find what is causing this. 

I did notice that the X-axis listing on the one that works looks like this:

Almizu_0-1694127006316.png

and the ones that are tied to the main dataset look like this:

Almizu_1-1694127062185.png

The current date table that I am using is the following:

Almizu_2-1694127158818.png

Any ideas or help would be much appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Almizu in initital post you did not write DirectQuery 

Check limitation from official ADDCOLUMNS documentation on link

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/addcolumns-function-dax?WT.mc_id=DP-MVP-4025372 

Hope this help

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Almizu
Frequent Visitor

One other thing to note here. I tested this again with the following calendar table:

Almizu_0-1694195805704.png

I was able to build a line chart with forecasting and drill down through year to quarter to month. However, as soon as I flipped it to a DirectQuery it would not allow me to drill down in that line chart and still show a forecast. Why would switching to a DirectQuery change that funcitonality and is there a way around it?

Hi @Almizu in initital post you did not write DirectQuery 

Check limitation from official ADDCOLUMNS documentation on link

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/dax/addcolumns-function-dax?WT.mc_id=DP-MVP-4025372 

Hope this help

Almizu
Frequent Visitor

Hello @some_bih 

I tried changing up the VAR days to use CALENDARAUTO and just physically set a start and end date, but I am still getting the same issue. The forecasting function works fine in the main data set, but any other reports that are tied to it will not allow you to drill down past year. 

some_bih
Super User
Super User

Hi @Almizu 

Check your VAR days as you are referencing two different tables

some_bih_0-1694155374968.png

Did I answer your question? Kudos appreciated / accept solution!

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.