Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

MarkSmash
Frequent Visitor

Drill through with multiple selection. How to mass select values?

Goal: To pass through a large number of individual student records to a drill through page.

Sample PBIX: https://drive.google.com/file/d/13rQyKv945RQ9agViVayFlxZ9Ieon4q_y/view?usp=drive_link 

Using visuals on the page (Test 2-Overall Score), I need a way to mass select and pass through to the drill through page (Attendance - Drill Through) the individual student records so that they can be filtered on that page. 

My thought is the best way to do this is using the card visual (source: https://www.purplefrogsystems.com/2021/02/power-bi-drill-through-using-multiple-data-points/), but I cannot figure out a clean/simple way to select the list of students to drill through to other pages.

Example steps:

1). On the bar chart, select the "Not Proficient" and "Well Below Proficient" performance levels across both terms. This selects only Full Names for 3 students (on right table).

MarkSmash_0-1709319053667.png

2). I then need a way to mass select those 3 students, and pass through their Full Name's/DistrictStudentKey's only to the drill through page.

MarkSmash_1-1709319542858.png

Manually selecting the student records on the table visual, or on the slicer, and then drilling through on the Card visual works, but this non-sample data could contain hundreds of student records we'd want to drill through so I'd want a simple way to mass select the students.

Very open to other solutions than the above if there is a way to select and pass through multiple records to another page. Synced slicer of the DistrictStudent table could also work, but to my knowledge there still isn't a way to mass select the required students easily?

6 REPLIES 6
Daniel29195
Super User
Super User

@MarkSmash 

please refer to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7PSwxdiwwE&t=104s

hope this helps .

If my answer helped sort things out for you, i would appreciate a thumbs up 👍 and mark it as the solution
It makes a difference and might help someone else too. Thanks for spreading the good vibes! 🤠

Hi @Daniel29195 

Thanks for the reply!

I have seen that video, and it actually references the page I had in the initial posting. Unfortunately my understanding is this method passes through the categories to filter the students to the drill through page, but that won't necessarily help if those drill through categories aren't related to the drill-through page.

In an example from the sample PBIX file, selecting "Well Below Proficient" Performance Levels on a particular test to drill through isn't related to a dedicated Attendance page. This attendance page might be where I would want to evaluate attendance records related to that subset of students with Well Below Proficient on the test.

Below is the screenshot of the filters being applied in the above drill through example. The attendance table visual below isn't filtering out the "A L1 (1001)" records.

MarkSmash_0-1709327315589.png

Instead of drill throughing the selected categories used to initially filter the records, I believe I need to find a way to pass the DistrictStudent records themselves to the drill through instead of the selected categories. But I'm not sure how to achieve that in a simple manner instead of manually clicking each record in the slicer or another visual listing out each student record.

@MarkSmash 

you can use this concept : 

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/collaborate-share/service-url-filters

Daniel29195_0-1709416348050.png

you can here use dax to get the filters that you want,  and add them to the url paramters . 

would this help you get what you want ? 

If my answer helped sort things out for you, i would appreciate a thumbs up 👍 and mark it as the solution
It makes a difference and might help someone else too. Thanks for spreading the good vibes! 🤠

Hi @Daniel29195 ,

That is an interesting solution, and I am able to get it to work on my sample dataset published to the Power BI service.

Before I mark this as the solution, are we then conceding there is no way to mass select the values in a visualization--for example a table visual? If there was a clean way to mass select all DistrictStudent.DistrictStudentKey values in a visual, the card drill through would then work with less overhead in maintaining these buttons.

Thank you for your help!

@MarkSmash 

im a little confused by what do you mean by mass select ? 

do you mean like selecting multiple rows from the visual table, and drillthrough ? because,
you can select multiple rows from the table, and then drillthrough the card visual. 

@Daniel29195 

Yes, I want to select all records in a visual (for example a table visual, or possibly another) and then use that to drill through.

Example:

On the below bar chart, select the "Well Below Proficient" performance level. This provides a list of students in the table visual on the right. I think, ideally, I'd want to do a "Select All" on the list of students in the table visual to the right and use that list of students as the drill through.

This list of students could be many records, so individually selecting them would not be feasible for an end user. In the below example, I would want the drill through to pass on the DistrictStudentKey values of 2 and 3.

MarkSmash_0-1709648193761.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.