Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you have to have a date column to use time intelligence functions?

Hi,

I am trying to use time intelligence functions to eventually work out MTD, YTD, YOY Actuals and Percentages. My data looks like the following:

Data Source

MMYYYYDescription Level1Description Level2RevenueVolumeCustomerIDSegment
12017ShirtsSmall101123Youth
12017TrousersMedium152124Youth
12017ShirtsSmall101125Middle
12017TrousersLarge252126Old
12017ShirtsLarge303127Middle

I created a date table and created a relationship between Year on the date table and YYYY in the data source. However, when I try to use functions like SAMEPERIODLAST YEAR or DATEADD it does not work. Do I need to have an actual date column in order to use time intelligence functions?
The data spans to 2021.

Regards,

Dr_Watcher

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@amitchandak @selimovd thanks I have created the date column and a relationship between that column and the date column in the date table. However, I still ran into an issue.

I think created the following measures:

Total Volume = SUM('Data Source'[VOLUME])
Total Volume LY = CALCULATE([Total Volume], SAMEPERIODLASTYEAR('Date Table'[Date]))

However, its still not working as the table below shows Total Volume = Total Volume LY

Dr_Watcher_0-1618409606391.png

Hey @Anonymous ,

can you show a picture of the date table and the connection?

The date table has to have single days, in the table you post I don't see a proper date like 01.01.2021

If you need any help please let me know.
If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @selimovd  see below:

Date Table:

Dr_Watcher_0-1618469821953.png

Relationship:

Dr_Watcher_1-1618470634976.png

Thanks
Dr_Watcher

Hey @Anonymous ,

your measure [Total Volume] ist the SUM('Data Source'[VOLUME]), the relationship you show is between your date table and the table 'All - Copy'.

How does the relationship between the date table and the table 'Data Source' look like?

If I answered your question I would be happy if you could mark my post as a solution ✔️ and give it a thumbs up 👍

Best regards
Denis

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous , I think you need to create a date in table and join that with date table.

Create a date like

Date = Date([Year], [month],1)

selimovd
Super User
Super User

Hey @Anonymous ,

all the time intelligence functions work only if you have a proper date table that needs each day of the year in the specific time frame.

So if you create a proper date table and connect it to your table, then the time functions will work.

Best regards
Denis

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.