Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

jdwalker5
Helper II
Helper II

Do I need a gateway for Direct Query to SQL Server?

Hello,

I've read a few related posts regarding this topic but still don't have a clear understanding.  Just need to know if you have to have a gateway to refresh if you're connected to a SQL Server data source and using direct query storage mode.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Watsky
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @jdwalker5 ,

For SQL Server you do need a gateway connection.

Watsky_0-1635520484240.png

If by SQL Server you actually meant Azure SQL Database then you would not need a gateway connection. 

Watsky_0-1635520672926.png

Take a look at Power BI data sources - Power BI | Microsoft Docs. This explains which data sources require a gateway connection. 

Hope this helps.

Did my answer(s) help you? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!
Did my post answer your question(s)? Mark my post as a solution. This will help others find the solution.

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Watsky
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @jdwalker5 ,

For SQL Server you do need a gateway connection.

Watsky_0-1635520484240.png

If by SQL Server you actually meant Azure SQL Database then you would not need a gateway connection. 

Watsky_0-1635520672926.png

Take a look at Power BI data sources - Power BI | Microsoft Docs. This explains which data sources require a gateway connection. 

Hope this helps.

Did my answer(s) help you? Give it a kudos by clicking the Thumbs Up!
Did my post answer your question(s)? Mark my post as a solution. This will help others find the solution.

Proud to be a Super User!

Thank you for the link.  That explains what I needed to know.  The reason I ask is my organization uses both Power BI and Tableau.  The Tableau folks don't understand why a gateway is necessary because I guess it refreshes data differently.  I don't know enough about Tableau to speak to it.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.