Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

DanielSchmitz

Distinct Measure producing incorrect results

Hi all,

This is my situation:
I'm importing data from Active Directory. By using UserAccountStatus I determine which machines are active or not. Besides that I have a conditional column which aggregates different OS versions into a single OS - all working fine.

I then have 3 measures which I would like to use to further filter / calculate specific devices and here I have a problem.

I use the following measures:

1. All active clients in AD

AD Total = 
CALCULATE(DISTINCTCOUNT('AD Data'[computer.cn]), 
FILTER('AD Data', 'AD Data'[userAccountControl]= VALUE("4096") || 
'AD Data'[userAccountControl] = Value("4128") || 
'AD Data'[userAccountControl] = Value("69632")))

1. All active clients in AD with Win 7 OR Win 10

AD In Scope = 
FILTER('AD Data','AD Data'[OS] = "Win 7" || 
'AD Data'[OS] = "Win 10"), 
FILTER('AD Data', 
'AD Data'[userAccountControl]= VALUE("4096") || 
'AD Data'[userAccountControl] = Value("69632")))​

• All active clients in AD w/o Win 7 OR Win 10

AD Out Scope = 
FILTER('AD Data','AD Data'[OS] <> "Win 7" && 
'AD Data'[OS] <> "Win 10"), 
FILTER('AD Data', 
'AD Data'[userAccountControl]= VALUE("4096") || 
'AD Data'[userAccountControl] = Value("69632")))

From my understanding if I do cross check I would think that Measure 2 + Measure 3 = Measure 1

1. Measure 1 = 68794
  2. Measure 2 = 62038
  3. Measure 3 = 6760

However in my case the total number is less than the sum of 2+3 (68798) as you can see.

Anyone any idea why this is happening? If I load the RAW Data into Excel, remove the duplicates and Pivot I get accurate numbers. This happens with a second table as well where all of a sudden 1 or 2 machines seems to disappear.

Thx for any help in this matter

Daniel

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @DanielSchmitz,

Dax formulas will use 'AND' logic to link all filter conditions, I think you need to double-check on your table to confirm all of the records are matched with 'win7'/'win10' conditions. Or they will exist some of not match records that different than 'measure 1' results.

In addition, the sum of 'distinct count' results may not the same as the 'distinct count' of aggregate results. Some of the items existed in different conditions but they not auto remove from the calculated in the aggregate level.

For example:

distinct count 'formula 1' with conditions 1: ABCD -> 4.
distinct count 'formula 2' with conditions 2: ACE -> 3.
distinct count 'formula 3' with conditions 3(1 or 2) : ABCDE -> 5 ≠ 7(formula 1+formula 2)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @DanielSchmitz,

Dax formulas will use 'AND' logic to link all filter conditions, I think you need to double-check on your table to confirm all of the records are matched with 'win7'/'win10' conditions. Or they will exist some of not match records that different than 'measure 1' results.

In addition, the sum of 'distinct count' results may not the same as the 'distinct count' of aggregate results. Some of the items existed in different conditions but they not auto remove from the calculated in the aggregate level.

For example:

distinct count 'formula 1' with conditions 1: ABCD -> 4.
distinct count 'formula 2' with conditions 2: ACE -> 3.
distinct count 'formula 3' with conditions 3(1 or 2) : ABCDE -> 5 ≠ 7(formula 1+formula 2)

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.