Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Distinct Count of Id's between first and last date dynamically with calendar table

I have a table where I keep PersonId's from our application and then the first and last date of their subscriptions. These are normally in whole year spans. So the FirstSubStartDate would be 8/31/2021 and LastSubEndDate is 8/30/2022.

I also have a Reporting Calendar table that updates daily and allows me to chop up the data in any form I choose.

My struggle is finding a way to write a measure where I can choose what way to do a distinct count of these personid's and choose to graph it by year, month or whatever option I have in this reporting calendar.

Person Subscription Table

PersonIdFirstSubStartDateLastSubEndDate
11868/31/20208/30/2022
348592/10/20202/9/2021
348898/8/20208/7/2021

Here is what Im looking for:
I need a measure so when I put it into a bar or line graph and have Months for the X Axis, that it provides the distinct number of Id's in that month.

So in the above examples, if I was looking at Jan-Dec in 2021, 1186 would count once in each month where 34859 would count in Jan and Feb and then 34889 would count Jan-Aug. Only 1186 would count beyond 8/2021 because its LastSubEndDate goes into 2022.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
jgeddes
Super User
Super User

Along with your example data I created a date table that was unrelated to the example data.
The measure I used was

Count of IDs =
CALCULATE(
    DISTINCTCOUNT('Table'[PersonId]),
    FILTER('Table', 'Table'[FirstSubStartDate] <= MAX(dimDate[Date]) && 'Table'[LastSubEndDate] >= MIN(dimDate[Date]) )
)
Using the date table date hierarchy as the x-axis I was able to get

jgeddes_0-1663854670067.png

You can then use the date hierarchy to view the data at the resolution you desire

jgeddes_1-1663854777408.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
jgeddes
Super User
Super User

Along with your example data I created a date table that was unrelated to the example data.
The measure I used was

Count of IDs =
CALCULATE(
    DISTINCTCOUNT('Table'[PersonId]),
    FILTER('Table', 'Table'[FirstSubStartDate] <= MAX(dimDate[Date]) && 'Table'[LastSubEndDate] >= MIN(dimDate[Date]) )
)
Using the date table date hierarchy as the x-axis I was able to get

jgeddes_0-1663854670067.png

You can then use the date hierarchy to view the data at the resolution you desire

jgeddes_1-1663854777408.png

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Anonymous
Not applicable

I was really overthinking that. I had everthing except for the MIN/MAX. Thanks!

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.