Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Displaying metrics with prior years based of selected year slicer value

I need a quick fix to a seemingly simple issue here :

Measures are Rejection rate and Invoice count.

Olajumi_1-1613342347621.png

I have a Year Slicer.

1. When I select the year I want to display a measaure:  Rejection rate for selected year and two preceding years (2021, 2020, 2019) 

2. I also want to be able to display another measure:  Invoice count for all years before 2021.

Below is my simple solution (using a table) for  years before 2021.  

*Temp Sum count for years =
CALCULATE ([*Total invoice count],
FILTER (All ('DimDate'),
'DimDate'[calYear] > SELECTEDVALUE('DimDate'[calYear])))

I expect ony years less than selected years to be pulled, but something seems off.  I made sure to turn interactivity of slicer with table.

*Selected year = SELECTEDVALUE(DimDate[CalDate].[Year])

Result:

Olajumi_2-1613342634998.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous I think @danextian  already have a measure for this but need a bit of tweaking before the selected year need < (less than sign) not less than equal to (<=) otherwise that will include selected year value as well:

Total Before Selected Year = 
CALCULATE (
    SUM ( 'Fact'[Value] ),
    FILTER (
        ALL ( 'Calendar' ),
        'Calendar'[Year] < SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Disconnected Calendar'[Year] )
    )
)

Check my latest blog post Compare Budgeted Scenarios vs. Actuals I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous I think @danextian  already have a measure for this but need a bit of tweaking before the selected year need < (less than sign) not less than equal to (<=) otherwise that will include selected year value as well:

CALCULATE (
    SUM ( 'Fact'[Value] ),
    FILTER (
        ALL ( 'Calendar' ),
    )
)

Check my latest blog post Compare Budgeted Scenarios vs. Actuals I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous I agree and endorse the @danextian solution. I haven't looked at his file but his reply is on the right track.

danextian
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

My approach would be to use a disconnected Dates table (one that has not relationship to any of of the Fact or Dates tables). Please see sample PBIX.  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ktSLpKFEjGIzLb3RzcIqxY75AbheS_iS/view?usp=sharing 

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Awesome!  Yes, this works. 

I attempted disconnecting the date table by disabling interactivity between the Slicer and the table/graph.   

What dax would you apply for graph of measure count for ALL years before selected year (2021) ?  

Hi @Anonymous ,

This was my formula in the attached file

CALCULATE (
    SUM ( 'Fact'[Value] ),
    FILTER (
        ALL ( 'Calendar' ),
        'Calendar'[Year] <= SELECTEDVALUE ( 'Disconnected Calendar'[Year] )
    )
)

@parry2kis right. It should have been ( just < instead of <=)

CALCULATE (
    SUM ( 'Fact'[Value] ),
    FILTER (
        ALL ( 'Calendar' ),
    )
)

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.
Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

See if my solution here helps - Flex a Pivot Table to show data for x months ended a certain user defined month.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, it does not help.   I need a DAX formular to solve both cases instead. 

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.