Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

MTOnet
Helper III
Helper III

Display Parent and All Child Records when Value from a Child Record is Selected

I am having difficulty with a problem that I am trying to solve.  I am trying to display the Parent and all Child records, when a value from one of the child records is selected from a filter, that is seperate from the data.

I have been able to display all child records when the selected value matches the parent record as well as the parent when a child record is selected, but I am having difficulty getting all the child records.

Here is my Data

IDParent IDTypeAssigned
1 Type1PersonA
2 Type1PersonB
3 Type1PersonC
41Type2PersonB
52Type2Person A
63Type2PersonD
72Type3PersonC
81Type3PersonB
93Type3PersonA

Desired Result - If PersonD is selected from the Filter, then display the following

IDParent IDTypeAssigned
3 Type1PersonC
63Type2PersonD
93Type3PersonA

I've tried taking the parent ID of a row and then creating a filtered table to see if the the selected Assigned value exists in that filterd table, but I can't seem to quite get the logic right.  Is there a different way I should approach this.  Thanks for any assistance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MTOnet
Helper III
Helper III

So I solved my issue. and it was such an easy fix.  There was a filter being applied on my data, which resulted in me not getting what I wanted.  Once I added All(Table) to my filter, I got the results i was looking for.  For anybody else looking for this, here is my solution.

RelatedtoAssigned = 
var result = switch(max('Table'[Type]),
    "Type1",if(CONTAINS( Filter(all('Table'),'Table'[ParentID]=max('Table'[Id])),'Table'[Assigned],[SelectionAssignedTo]),1,0),
    "Type2",if(CONTAINS( Filter(all('Table'),'Table'[ParentID]=max('Table'[ParentID])),'Table'[Assigned],[SelectionAssignedTo]),1,0),
    "Type3",if(CONTAINS( Filter(all('Table'),'Table'[ParentID]=max('Table'[ParentID])),'Table'[Assigned],[SelectionAssignedTo]),1,0))
return
    result

Where [SelectionAssignedTo] is a measure that gets the value selected in the filter

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
MTOnet
Helper III
Helper III

So I solved my issue. and it was such an easy fix.  There was a filter being applied on my data, which resulted in me not getting what I wanted.  Once I added All(Table) to my filter, I got the results i was looking for.  For anybody else looking for this, here is my solution.

RelatedtoAssigned = 
var result = switch(max('Table'[Type]),
    "Type1",if(CONTAINS( Filter(all('Table'),'Table'[ParentID]=max('Table'[Id])),'Table'[Assigned],[SelectionAssignedTo]),1,0),
    "Type2",if(CONTAINS( Filter(all('Table'),'Table'[ParentID]=max('Table'[ParentID])),'Table'[Assigned],[SelectionAssignedTo]),1,0),
    "Type3",if(CONTAINS( Filter(all('Table'),'Table'[ParentID]=max('Table'[ParentID])),'Table'[Assigned],[SelectionAssignedTo]),1,0))
return
    result

Where [SelectionAssignedTo] is a measure that gets the value selected in the filter

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.