Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

SeanL

Disable Dashboard Refresh

Hi,

I dont want my Dashboards to refresh whenever a new Dataset is Published. 

I want my dashboards to be static at the point when I pin them and to ignore any subsequent data refreshes.

Is this possible?

4 REPLIES 4
v-caliao-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @SeanL,

Which data source are your using? If you want dashboards to be static at the point, the best choice for is to create a snapshot at that point. And get data from that snapshot.

A database snapshot is a read-only, static view of a SQL Server database (the source database). The database snapshot is transactionally consistent with the source database as of the moment of the snapshot's creation.

Reference
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms175158.aspx

Regards,

Charlie Liao

KHorseman
Community Champion
Community Champion

@SeanL that seems to go against the entire point of refreshing the dataset. If you need to show some values at a certain point in time in the past it's probably best to use time intelligence functions to write a measure that specifies that point in time. What sort of data are you trying to show in this way?

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

I do think there are a number of reasons to disable dashboard refresh, one is that I need to futher edit measures/columns and a refresh may take, say 10 minutes, which may potentially hit productivity.

Actually I really prefer to have full control of refresh when I'm the DESIGNER, not the user. Idealy Power BI would have a manual mode when you are editing and it won't refresh at all until I click the refresh button. So if I load a new dataset and forget to hit the refresh button I simply can't use it, which is so much better than it refreshes every time some tiny new things/modifications have been made. But I don't think that feature will ever appear...another option is the ability to disable all visualization refresh.

One way to achieve this with equal visualization is to use Python + Dash but apparently it's out of touch of most people.

ashishrj
Power Participant
Power Participant

@SeanL Seems not possible at this time !

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.