Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

iti_il

Determine if start date and end date are in the same period - DAX

Hey,
I have a table with an END DATE and a START DATE (Table 1) and an additional table with a RATE per period (Table 2).
I have to check whether the START DATE and the END DATE in Table 1 are both in the same period, as indicated in Table 2. If the answer is TRUE;

Multiply the relevant RATE with the column QUANTITY in Table 1.
If not;

calculate the number of days in each period relative to the total number of days,

And then multiply each result at the relevant rate, sum the results (weighted average) and multiply the answer in the QUANTITY column in Table 1.

For example:

TABLE 1
#	START DATE	END DATE	QUANTITY
1	12/20/2017	02/20/2018	200
2	10/01/2017	12/30/2017	150

TABLE 2
START DATE	END DATE	RATE
06/01/2017	12/31/2017	7.5$
01/01/2018	05/31/2018	8.5$

If true (#2): 150*7.5=1,125
If false (#1): (10/60*7.5)+(50/60*8.5)=8.33$
8.33*200=1,666.67

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @iti_il,

Based on my test, you can refer to below steps:

1.Create an Index column in your ‘Period’ table.

1.PNG2.

2.Create two measures to calculate different situations.

True = (CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[QUANTITY]),FILTER('Table1','Table1'[START DATE]>=MIN('Table2'[START DATE])&&'Table1'[END DATE]<=MAX('Table2'[END DATE])&&'Table1'[#]=MAX('Table2'[Index]))))*MIN('Table2'[RATE])

Fales = var  c=(CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[QUANTITY]),FILTER('Table1','Table1'[START DATE]>=MIN('Table2'[START DATE])&&'Table1'[END DATE]<=MAX('Table2'[END DATE])&&'Table1'[#]<>MAX('Table2'[Index]))))

Var a=DATEDIFF(CALCULATE(MIN('Table1'[START DATE]),FILTER('Table1','Table1'[QUANTITY]=c)),CALCULATE(MAX('Table2'[END DATE]),FILTER('Table2','Table2'[Index]=MIN('Table1'[#]))),DAY)-1

var b=-DATEDIFF(CALCULATE(MAX('Table1'[END DATE]),FILTER('Table1','Table1'[QUANTITY]=c)),CALCULATE(MIN('Table2'[START DATE]),FILTER('Table2','Table2'[Index]<>MIN('Table1'[#]))),DAY)

return ((a/(a+b)*MIN(('Table2'[RATE])))+(b/(a+b)*MAX('Table2'[RATE])))*c

3.Create two Card visual to show the data, now you can see the correct result.

2.PNG

You can also download the PBIX file to have a view.

Hehttps://www.dropbox.com/s/q0v9ooiivzgynfg/Determine%20if%20start%20date%20and%20end%20date%20are%20i...

Regards,

Daniel 

Community Support Team _ Daniel He
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-danhe-msft
Employee
Employee

Hi @iti_il,

Based on my test, you can refer to below steps:

1.Create an Index column in your ‘Period’ table.

1.PNG2.

2.Create two measures to calculate different situations.

True = (CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[QUANTITY]),FILTER('Table1','Table1'[START DATE]>=MIN('Table2'[START DATE])&&'Table1'[END DATE]<=MAX('Table2'[END DATE])&&'Table1'[#]=MAX('Table2'[Index]))))*MIN('Table2'[RATE])

Fales = var  c=(CALCULATE(SUM(Table1[QUANTITY]),FILTER('Table1','Table1'[START DATE]>=MIN('Table2'[START DATE])&&'Table1'[END DATE]<=MAX('Table2'[END DATE])&&'Table1'[#]<>MAX('Table2'[Index]))))

Var a=DATEDIFF(CALCULATE(MIN('Table1'[START DATE]),FILTER('Table1','Table1'[QUANTITY]=c)),CALCULATE(MAX('Table2'[END DATE]),FILTER('Table2','Table2'[Index]=MIN('Table1'[#]))),DAY)-1

var b=-DATEDIFF(CALCULATE(MAX('Table1'[END DATE]),FILTER('Table1','Table1'[QUANTITY]=c)),CALCULATE(MIN('Table2'[START DATE]),FILTER('Table2','Table2'[Index]<>MIN('Table1'[#]))),DAY)

return ((a/(a+b)*MIN(('Table2'[RATE])))+(b/(a+b)*MAX('Table2'[RATE])))*c

3.Create two Card visual to show the data, now you can see the correct result.

2.PNG

You can also download the PBIX file to have a view.

Hehttps://www.dropbox.com/s/q0v9ooiivzgynfg/Determine%20if%20start%20date%20and%20end%20date%20are%20i...

Regards,

Daniel 

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Thank you!
it worked
🙂

Hi @iti_il,

It's pleasant that your problem has been solved, could you please mark my reply as Answered?

Regards,

Daniel He

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.