Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Lmendes
Frequent Visitor

Delimiter at each instance of an integer

Hi

I have some concatenated data i.e.

1=Married 2=Single 3=In a sexual relationship 4=Widowed 5=Divorced / Separated 6= Cohabiting

I want to split out into seperate columns. I want to split it out at each instance of the integer - however, the concatenated data is a mix of text & integers. I have tried the below but i get an error message; 

We cannot convert a value of type List to type Text.
Details:
Value=List
Type=Type

= Table.SplitColumn(#"Removed Blank Rows", "Answers", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter({"0".."9"}, QuoteStyle.Csv), {"Answers.1", "Answers.2"})

Please help!! An alternative way to do this would be to split by = and -1 from the text length, but I dont know how to do this in M language

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Lmendes,

You can refer to below sample to transform QA table in query editor and use dax formula to lookup related answers.

2.PNG1.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Lmendes,

You can refer to below sample to transform QA table in query editor and use dax formula to lookup related answers.

2.PNG1.PNG

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Thats sorted it! Thank you very much Xiaoxin

Laura

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lmendes if i am not mistaken you will have one of the value as a response i.e. 1=Married or you will 2=Single etc...

could you plz post a column with 3 rows of sample date in an excel file(upload to dropbox or google drive and post link here) to clarify the question

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lmendes try this 

1) Split based on space

= Table.SplitColumn(Source, "Answer", Splitter.SplitTextByDelimiter(" ", QuoteStyle.Csv), {"Answer.1", "Answer.2", "Answer.3", "Answer.4", "Answer.5", "Answer.6", "Answer.7", "Answer.8"})

2) Split By "="

= Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter",{{"Answer.1", Int64.Type}, {"Answer.2", type text}})

Thanks for the suggested solution - unfortunately spaces exist in between some of the answers so it doesnt quite work.

I cannot attach the original file as it contains sensitive data but i have created a dummy file; here

Thank you

Laura

I hope this helps illustrate the issue a bit better;

So i am starting with data like this;

QuestionAnswer
Source of information1=Radio 2=Church 3=Community Groups 4=Community awareness meetings 5=Other
Sex1=Female 2=Male
Occupation1=None   2=Formal Employment 3= Farmer 4=Business   5=Student 6= Other (specify) _____________ 

And i want it to look like this - after i unpivot columns and split by delimiter "="

Source of informationAnswer11Radio
Source of informationAnswer22Church
Source of informationAnswer33Community Groups
Source of informationAnswer44Community awareness meetings
Source of informationAnswer55Other
SexAnswer11Female
SexAnswer22Male
OccupationAnswer11None
OccupationAnswer22Formal Employment
OccupationAnswer33Farmer
OccupationAnswer44Business
OccupationAnswer55Student
OccupationAnswer66Other (specify) _____________
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lmendes are the number of answers in a column fixed?

Just curious as to why would have all the options in the answer columns, wouldn't you have just 1 ans i.e. for source of information you will have 1=radio or 2=church etc.

If thats the case the solution is pretty simple

=Text.Select([data],{"0".."9"})

If the format is like you say, split the data based on spaces and then pivot the answers and use my method to filter numbers

Hi

Thanks for your help so far. I tried your solution but again i get this error (because the data is a mix of text & Int64). I need to keep both the text and the numbers as i need to know what each number relates to for each question.

Thank you

Laura

Expression.Error: We cannot convert a value of type List to type Text.
Details:
    Value=List
    Type=Type

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lmendes It would make it lot easier if you can provide more details by sharing the power bi file you created. Else it is like shooting in the dark trying to guess where you are failing.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Lmendes couldn't you split it by the "=" in there? also if the numbers are not needed replace them all by blank or some other character

thank you for the quick response! Unfortunately I do need the number as I will split out the numbers and use them as a score

Luara

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.