Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

AvPowerBI
Post Patron
Post Patron

Dax Studio Queries on Desktop

Hi,

Is it possible to run the same queries that I run in Dax Studio but on a Power BI Desktop?

So at the moment I do this

• Open my Tabular Model with Power BI Desktop
  • Click External Tools and then click on DAX Studio ( which opens up in the background )
  • Within DAX Studio I click on DMV  (on the left hand side panel ) and double click on the name MDSCHEMA_MEASURES
  • After doing the above, it will put the below SQL query in the adjacent window, which I click the Run button to Execute this

select * from $SYSTEM.MDSCHEMA_MEASURES

The output it returns on the Results tab is what I want to do within a Power BI Desktop, is it possible to do this and what is the best way of connecting to the Tabular Model and apply the above SQL Statement? What if the Tabular Model is on the Power BI Service can doing what I want still be able to be achieved?

Thanks 

2 REPLIES 2
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@AvPowerBI 

If you are using AS tabular model as the datasource, you can only use MDX and DAX query but not SQL query under import mode. You may only use SQL statement for SQL server connector in power bi desktop.

V-pazhen-msft_0-1623637858872.png

If the model on the power bi service, I guess you are looking to get the power bi dataset which is connected to a AS tabular model, which can only be live connection mode.

V-pazhen-msft_1-1623637996599.png

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. 

I am connecting to a Power BI datasets which this is another pbix document where the Data Source is connect to an Azure SQL Database.

So does mean it is not possible for what I am trying to achieve.

Thanks

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.