Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

MAFE62
Frequent Visitor

Date value is changed when visualized from a dataset

Hi guys,

I started to learn Power BI 2 months ago. I have been solving some problems looking for solutions in this community, however currently I have the following scenario and I haven't find a solution:

1.- I created a data model bringing data from Azure DevOps

2.- Then the data model is published in a Workspace in Power BI Services

3.- Based on that data model I created some reportes getting data using the option "Get Data / Power BI dataset"

The problem is that some date values are changed when I create a visual in the step 3. Aparently it is a random problem (I have not found a pattern or reason). Here you have the facts:

a) Raw data exported to Excel:  (look at Baseline/Actual Finish dates... those are the right dates coming from Devops)

image.png

b) If I create a visual using the data model (step 1), it looks OK:

image.png

c) However, if I create a visual using the data from the dataset (step 3), some values are changed!!!:

image.png
I'm using Power BI Desktop last version:

image.png

Your help is appreciated,

Martin Fernandez Marin

6 REPLIES 6
danextian
Super User
Super User

If I am not mistaken  PBI service is using GMT +0. I would convert Baseline Finish and Actual Finish columns to a GMT + 0 timezone then convert it to your local timezone. You can add a custom colum in Power Query using 

DateTimeZone.SwitchZone ( Datetime.AddZone ( [datetimecolumn], 0 ), yourtimezone )

If your colums aren't datetime, you may convert it to that format first. After adding the custom columns, you can switch the data type back to date only.

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.

danextian,

The columns Baseline Finish and Actual Finish are datetime.

My question is: The conversion occurs even when the data comes from a field in a user table?

Thanks,

Mafe62

I'm thinking it could be because, in the backend, the database actually uses a different timezone. But once a report is exported, datetime fields are changed to the timezone of the user based on location or whatever was set by the user. I encountered this when working on Salesforce objects - time datetime info on the website and the report is different from that in the object.

"Tell me and I’ll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I’ll understand."
Need Power BI consultation, get in touch with me on LinkedIn or hire me on UpWork.
Learn with me on YouTube @DAXJutsu or follow my page on Facebook @DAXJutsuPBI.
JarroVGIT
Resident Rockstar
Resident Rockstar

It seems to me that you are victim of a 'feature' of Power BI Service. The PBI Service might use a different timezone then you are and you cannot change the timezone of the service. So, if you are pulling in a datetime of 1/1/2019 23:00:00 local time, it might be converted to the local timezone of PBI service when returned to you in PowerBI Desktop (when you connect to it as a dataset) to for example 2//2019 02:00:00. 

I can recommend this article for possible solutions:
https://radacad.com/solving-dax-time-zone-issue-in-power-bi

Kind regards

Djerro123

-------------------------------

If this answered your question, please mark it as the Solution. This also helps others to find what they are looking for.

Keep those thumbs up coming! 🙂

djerro123:

Thanks for your comments.

I can understand the behavior of DAX functions like TODAY() or NOW() when are published in Power BI Service but in this case the date that is changed comes from a table (as a data), I mean, it is not the result of a buil-in function. I expected the data must be respected as it is (no changes at all).

Anyway, I will try your recommendation as a possible solution.

Best regards,

Mafe62

Hi @MAFE62 - did you manage to fix your issue? I'm having exactly the same problem you describe.

Be good to hear if you resolved this - thanks, Dez.

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.