Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The ultimate Microsoft Fabric, Power BI, Azure AI & SQL learning event! Join us in Las Vegas from March 26-28, 2024. Use code MSCUST for a $100 discount. Register Now

Fabianserranopi

Date from month/day/year to day/month/year

How can i do that to a column that have data in that way?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @Fabianserranopi,

I am guessing that your data must be in a CSV or TEXT file ?

Until the Power BI team provide functionaility to work with UK dates, I suggest one of the following methods:

1. Create a reference table (Excel is the easiest) that will allow you to convert your UK format dates to US dates within PowerBI Desktop. This is the easiest way to do it and what I would recommend. In fact, you can then add new references columns such as Financial Qtr, MMM-YY formats etc. I provide this reference table to all our employees that use Power BI. 

2. Use DAX queries. It gets a bit complicated. So rather than show you one large DAX query, I will split into multiple columns/queries. The image below shows you the UKDate in the 1st column, and MyDate which has finally been converted into a date format. To do this, I had to convert UKDate into a US date.... Here are the queries for each column:

Year = right([UKDate],4)

FindFirstSymbol = SEARCH("/",Test[UKDate],1)

Day = LEFT(Test[UKDate],Test[FindFirstSymbol])

Month = MID(Test[UKDate],Test[FindFirstSymbol]+1,(Test[Length]-4)-Test[FindFirstSymbol])

Length = LEN(Test[UKDate])

MyDate = datevalue(CONCATENATE((CONCATENATE(Test[Month],Test[Day])),Test[Year]))

Capture.PNG

Please give me a kudos... I spent an hour on this for you... LOL 😛

Good Luck,

Daniel

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

I do not believe that there is a default format like that for Date Time columns, but you can create a new column with the following formula:

FormattedDate = FORMAT([Date],"dd/MM/yy")

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
Mastering Power BI 2nd Edition

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

The problem is: when I selected the column "Date" and used the "Data Type" option to transform the data from Text to Date many of the cells shows "error" (because the data in the date column format is mm/dd/yyyy). I don't know how to fix that and i couldn't fixed with your formula :(.

Problem.jpg

Hi @Fabianserranopi,

I am guessing that your data must be in a CSV or TEXT file ?

Until the Power BI team provide functionaility to work with UK dates, I suggest one of the following methods:

1. Create a reference table (Excel is the easiest) that will allow you to convert your UK format dates to US dates within PowerBI Desktop. This is the easiest way to do it and what I would recommend. In fact, you can then add new references columns such as Financial Qtr, MMM-YY formats etc. I provide this reference table to all our employees that use Power BI. 

2. Use DAX queries. It gets a bit complicated. So rather than show you one large DAX query, I will split into multiple columns/queries. The image below shows you the UKDate in the 1st column, and MyDate which has finally been converted into a date format. To do this, I had to convert UKDate into a US date.... Here are the queries for each column:

Year = right([UKDate],4)

FindFirstSymbol = SEARCH("/",Test[UKDate],1)

Day = LEFT(Test[UKDate],Test[FindFirstSymbol])

Month = MID(Test[UKDate],Test[FindFirstSymbol]+1,(Test[Length]-4)-Test[FindFirstSymbol])

Length = LEN(Test[UKDate])

MyDate = datevalue(CONCATENATE((CONCATENATE(Test[Month],Test[Day])),Test[Year]))

Capture.PNG

Please give me a kudos... I spent an hour on this for you... LOL 😛

Good Luck,

Daniel

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've had similar date problem before. Solved it by "Split Column - By delimeter" and chose "/" to be the sign to split the Date Column.

You can find this in the "Edit query - Transform" and above "Text column"

Result being 3 extra columns with day of month - month number and year number

From there it's simply trivial to combine the 3 into one valid date column

This solved it for me. Thanks for that.

Otherwise there is a solution that literally takes 3-clicks:

In Power Query Editor, right-click on your column header / Change Type / Using Locale...

Capture.PNG

source:

https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/date-format-is-changed-in-power-bi-desktop/m-p/45385#M17618

Just a side note for locals, if you take the MM/DD/YYYY format and change it to Canadian locals, it still remains MM/DD/YYYY and not: DD/MM/YYYY although the latter format is more acceptable in Canada. When trying to use locals peek a local that in the country the same date format is always used. Like UK or Russia.  

Thank you so much Yana :')

Thank you very much, DANIEL @djnww!!!

I appreciate the time you took to explain this to me :D, i really do!

Helpful resources

Announcements
Fabric Community Conference

Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join us at our first-ever Microsoft Fabric Community Conference, March 26-28, 2024 in Las Vegas with 100+ sessions by community experts and Microsoft engineering.