Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Date display - need help understanding

I understand that when a date field is part of a relationship you won't see a hierarchy for it.  Why does a date field that does have a hierarchy show up on my reports broken down by year, quarter, month and day?  See below.  #1 is the date field that's part of a relationship.  #2 isn't.  How can I get #2 to display like #1?

Thank you!

Mike

Image 7.jpg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

First of all the hierarchy that appears on dates is only a virtual table that is created, this option can be turn off on the:

Options -> Data Load -> Auto date/time (for Current file and for Global).

When you have this option on what happens when you have a relationship active (assuming a one to many) the date that is on the table for the one part get's that virtualization hierachy, so when you drag the date to a visual it will assume automatically the hierarchy setup.

To change this you can click on the rigth arrow on the values part of the date column and select the date instead of the Date Hierarchy:

date_hier.png

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
v-xuding-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

You could try the following steps.

Click the column in values field > choose the column name rather than name + hierarchy

2.PNG

Best Regards,

Xue Ding

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Best Regards,
Xue Ding
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.
MFelix
Super User
Super User

Hi @Anonymous ,

First of all the hierarchy that appears on dates is only a virtual table that is created, this option can be turn off on the:

Options -> Data Load -> Auto date/time (for Current file and for Global).

When you have this option on what happens when you have a relationship active (assuming a one to many) the date that is on the table for the one part get's that virtualization hierachy, so when you drag the date to a visual it will assume automatically the hierarchy setup.

To change this you can click on the rigth arrow on the values part of the date column and select the date instead of the Date Hierarchy:

date_hier.png

Regards,

MFelix

Regards

Miguel Félix

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

Check out my blog: Power BI em Português

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @MFelix for the explanation!

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.