Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Date column replace to NULL or NA

Hi All,

I have a date column which has values 12-31-9999 in a table which I imported to Power BI desktop. I am trying to display NULL or NA for 12-31-9999. I have tried DAX calculation to create new column but it did not work. Can you please let me know how can we change it.

Thanks

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Hi @Anonymous ,

I can just guess what problem you might be facing. I suggest to add some error description in your questions/responses. Sample data and desired outcome clarity is expected to get the answers asap.

Below code works for me:

Replaces = IF(FORMAT(DatesReplace[Dates],"dd-mm-yyyy")="31-12-9999", "NA","GoodDates")

Output was like this:

mahenkj2_0-1654446560070.png

Since we can not compare date with text, so I had to use FORMAT function. You may also need to tweak as may be needed.

Hope it helps.

View solution in original post

v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

The NULL or NA is text type. The data is date type. If we still want to change the column type.The error "Expressions that yield variant data-type cannot be used to define calculated columns" would appear.

We can try @mahenkj2 's way.

Create a measure.

mEASURE = IF(MAX('Table'[date])=DATE(9999,12,31),"NA","GOOD DATES")

Or a column.

Column = IF('Table'[date]=DATE(9999,12,31),"NA","GOOD DATES")

vpollymsft_0-1654580823048.png

If I have misunderstood your meaning, please provide your pbix file without privacy inforamtion and desired output.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Polly

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
v-rongtiep-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Anonymous ,

The NULL or NA is text type. The data is date type. If we still want to change the column type.The error "Expressions that yield variant data-type cannot be used to define calculated columns" would appear.

We can try @mahenkj2 's way.

Create a measure.

mEASURE = IF(MAX('Table'[date])=DATE(9999,12,31),"NA","GOOD DATES")

Or a column.

Column = IF('Table'[date]=DATE(9999,12,31),"NA","GOOD DATES")

vpollymsft_0-1654580823048.png

If I have misunderstood your meaning, please provide your pbix file without privacy inforamtion and desired output.

Best Regards

Community Support Team _ Polly

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

mahenkj2
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Hi @Anonymous ,

I think, it is not good to have date and text in date column is not a good idea and probably it would not be even possible in DAX. Instead, make another column in the same table comparing with "12-31-9999" and if Yes then NA else say "GoodDates" and use this column as fliter/slicer in your report together with datecolumn you use. The similar thing you can do in Power query as well.

Hope it helps.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @mahenkj2 

I tried creating new column and was comparing using IF condition in DAX. But I was not able to replace the value. Can you please let me know how can I compare and replace?

Thanks

Hi @Anonymous ,

I can just guess what problem you might be facing. I suggest to add some error description in your questions/responses. Sample data and desired outcome clarity is expected to get the answers asap.

Below code works for me:

Replaces = IF(FORMAT(DatesReplace[Dates],"dd-mm-yyyy")="31-12-9999", "NA","GoodDates")

Output was like this:

mahenkj2_0-1654446560070.png

Since we can not compare date with text, so I had to use FORMAT function. You may also need to tweak as may be needed.

Hope it helps.

Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Share the link from where i can download your PBI file.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi @Ashish_Mathur 

Thanks for responding 😊. Can you please use excel with column value of '12/31/9999'? Since I cannot share the PBI file.

Thanks

Hi,

Even if we replace 12/31/9999 in the Date column, there will be mixed data types in that column and that is not adviseable.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.