Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Telenar
Frequent Visitor

Date Slicer Not Working

So I've been out of PowerBI for a while and am just getting back. I'm now getting a behavior that I can't quite figure out.

So, baseline. 

Create a Calendar table with 

Calendar = CALENDARAUTO()

Mark the table as a date table, throw the date in as a slicer, and I get a date slicer as expected. 

Telenar_0-1657563881885.png

So now the issue. In the past I've been able to throw any old date field in and be able to create a slicer from it. Tried that today and get nothing. I get a slicer based on the heiarchy, just not a date slicer.

Telenar_1-1657563986845.png

Data type is set as a date:

Telenar_3-1657564062252.png

Shows in the fields as a date:

Telenar_4-1657564115099.png

Shows in the table as a date:
Telenar_5-1657564211441.png

To make it even wierder, I have a date slicer from another date that was already in the PowerBI, that works as I expect. If I drop that same date field into the PBI again, and try to set it up as a date slicer, it doesn't work.

So like I said, I've been out of PowerBI for a while so don't know if this was an update that changed the way they work or what? I'm sure I'm just missing something stupid and small. Any help here is appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

HI @Telenar,

Did you mean to add a date field to your 'between' mode slicer and it will switch to hierarchy mode instead of common date slicers?

If that is the case, I think it may be related to the date hierarchy.  Power bi may add optimization with this scenario(add the same date field multiple times to the same slicer) and will try to analyze and convert them to the different granularity of hierarchy levels.

You can also right-click on the current hierarchy slicer date field to convert date field to common mode to restore the default slicer.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Telenar
Frequent Visitor

Ok so confused but found a work around. If I drop the date in and then change it to a slicer I get the above behavior. If on the other hand I create an empty slicer and then drop the date on it, it works just fine. So I have a work around, but still would love to know why the old way (drop date in and change to slicer) no longer seems to work.

HI @Telenar,

Did you mean to add a date field to your 'between' mode slicer and it will switch to hierarchy mode instead of common date slicers?

If that is the case, I think it may be related to the date hierarchy.  Power bi may add optimization with this scenario(add the same date field multiple times to the same slicer) and will try to analyze and convert them to the different granularity of hierarchy levels.

You can also right-click on the current hierarchy slicer date field to convert date field to common mode to restore the default slicer.

Regards,

Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.