Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

WendyDUFE
Helper III
Helper III

Date Slicer Between Behavior for null value date

Hi, 

I have the date slicer in my report, and to make it user friendly , I use the between date type so user can easily adjust the date using the scroll bar. 

But for some of the data, the date is null, in this case, I observed belong confusing behavior 

1) Select the date out of the from and to range  (2021/04/06 ~ 2021/12/23 )

1-A): Select the Date-To date later then the max date, the column chart shows all the records  

WendyNHK_0-1621475607440.png

1-B): Select the Date-From date earlier then the min date, the column chart shows only the not null date records. Data records with whose date is null, are not included in the column chart. 

WendyNHK_1-1621475664169.png

Then I choose the Start-date (2021/4/6) manually, but the column chart still exclude the two null date value records

WendyNHK_2-1621475764550.png

2)  Select the date within the from and to range  (2021/04/06 ~ 2021/12/23 )

2-C)  Select the Start Date later then the min date , the data with null date and date not in this new data range are excluded in the column chart 

WendyNHK_4-1621475891243.png

Then I select the min date again (2021/4/6),  and the column chart has all data back, including the null date records. 

WendyNHK_5-1621475965893.png

2-D) Select the To-Date earlier then the max date , the data with null date records are still showing on the column chart, but only date not in this new data range are excluded in the column chart 

WendyNHK_7-1621476117187.png

Then I select the original Date-to , the column chart will show all the records again 

WendyNHK_8-1621476180593.png

Question: I wanna know what is the logic when dealing with null date value in the data slicer interaction with the visuals on the canvas. Current behavior is very confusing, some cases the null date value records are showing, but some cases not. 

Is that any configurations or options to make sure as long as user select the from-date / to-date to the original one, then the column chart will show all records ? 

Thank you 

3 REPLIES 3
aqsa31
Helper II
Helper II

Hi @WendyDUFE I know its an old post but did you find any solution for that? I am stuck in this exact same problem

v-shex-msft
Community Support
Community Support

HI @WendyDUFE,

It is hard to clarify and troubleshoot your issue from the screenshots. Can you share a pbix file with some dummy data with the similar data structure to help us clarify these scenarios? 

How to Get Your Question Answered Quickly
Regards,
Xiaoxin Sheng

Community Support Team _ Xiaoxin
If this post helps, please consider accept as solution to help other members find it more quickly.
amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@WendyDUFE , if you null/blank in dates and that is joined with other table (Say Date) , it better to exclude that in measure or at the visual level filter.

Also make sure these null value are not coming because 1 side of the tbale in join have less values

Also check if this video from guyincube can help

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8K4Px_6AYQ

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.