Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

comish4lif2
Advocate II
Advocate II

Date Hierarchy Not Available for Calculated Column

I have 2 columns in my data. CompletedVisitDate and ScheduledVisitDate. These both meet the status of Completed or Scheduled. To account for them together, I created a new column: 

MaxActionDate = MAX (DISPOSITION[DateOfService] , DISPOSITION[ScheduledVisitDate] )

The new column populates correctly and fully. The column has a data type of Date and permits the format of mmmm-yyyy.  Each row will have at least 1 date filled. The DateofService dates range from 3/29/2022 to 9/2/2022. And the ScheduledVisitDate ranges from 3/29/2022 to 11/1/2022.

But if I drop the new column onto a table, I do not get the Date Hierarchy options (Year, Quarter, Month, Day). I only get the date option. I want to aggregate these by Month and Year in a Line Chart.

I have a 1-to-Many relationship from Date in the Date Table to the MaxActionDate (calculated column) in my data.

Both DateofService and ScheduledVisitDate are formatted as date fields and behave like date fields. You can choose to display the date or the date hierarchy in a table visual.

So, why can I not use the calculated MaxActionDate like a hierarchical date column in a chart visual?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
4 REPLIES 4
Whigpresident
Advocate I
Advocate I

I roomed with evelyn91011 in college, and she was always pulling stuff like this.

Ashish_Mathur
Super User
Super User

Hi,

Create calculated column formulas to extract Day, Month, Month name and Year in the Calendar Table.  To your visuals/in your measures, refer to the fields from the Calendar Table.

Regards,
Ashish Mathur
http://www.ashishmathur.com
https://www.linkedin.com/in/excelenthusiasts/

Who marked this as Solved? It's my question, right? Don't I get to mark it as solved or not? Who is @evelyn91011 ?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.