Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Bush
Frequent Visitor

Date Format in Power Bi

Hi ..Trying to change date format in Power Bi from dd-mm-yyyy to dd/mm/yyyy ..Tried everything( Format function,Modelling,Use locale,Regional Settings) ..Its not working in my desktop but is working in my other collegue's..Any solution for it?unable to figure out the Issue at all.

7 REPLIES 7
PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @Bush 

You don't do this type of formatting the way you are trying to do it.  

I also think you are misunderstanding the idea of display format and the way actual underlying data is shown to you on screen by PBI.

For example, with this data in my table

dt1.png

Once loaded into PBI, I can select that column and in the Format area, type in dd/mm/yyyy and I get this shown in a table visual

dt2.png

You don't need to use the FORMAT function to simply display data in a particular format.  

Using a format string as I've done here, the underlying data is not changed - you can see in the image above that the Data type still says it is Date/time.

Download this PBIX file to see my example

Maybe this article on custom formats will help 

Custom Formatting Strings in Power BI

regards

Phil

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

Hey Phil 

The same file which you and the same data ..still as soon as I opened the file it's showing like this : 

Bush_0-1715581220230.png

Regard,

Bushra

Hi @Bush 

What's the version of your PBI Desktop? I tried Phil's file with 2.128.952.0 64-bit (April 2024) without any date format problem. 

Hi @v-jingzhan-msft  It's the April 24 Version only..Still not working..When changes the laptop Region Settings then only the format is changed accordingly.They are not updated by Report's Region Setting or any other Report Format or Dax Functions.

Bush
Frequent Visitor

Bush_0-1715333131020.png

First 3 columns are due to change in System Region Settings..Last column I tried using dax ..Its not working

Bush
Frequent Visitor

I tried but its not working at all..Basically the format dax function is not working in my power rbi Report..Only while changing the system Region settings I can get thee required data format.Can't do it for each Report.

PhilipTreacy
Super User
Super User

Hi @Bush 

I can't reproduce your problem.  If you select your date column you can choose to display the dates as dd/mm/yyyy

dmy.png

You can also type in the format you want into the Format box (rather than choose a format from the drop down list).

So if you type in dd/mm/yyyy and hit enter the dates should also be displayed the way you want.

If you supply your PBIX file I can see what's going on.

Phil

Did I answer your question? Then please mark my post as the solution.
If I helped you, click on the Thumbs Up to give Kudos.

Blog :: YouTube Channel :: Connect on Linkedin

Proud to be a Super User!

Helpful resources

Announcements
RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.