Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Bimster
Frequent Visitor

Date Difference with blank values

Hi,

I'm trying to calculate the number of days between two dates and for one of these columns, there may be blanks which I want to ignore (rather than give a large -ve value).

What DAX do I need to take this into account?  I want the table to still show the entries with the blank fields, just not to add a date in the date difference calculated column (Days to close column in picture below) - thanks

Capture.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi ManNVSM,

Thanks for your help. You gave me the idea of using dummy data so I did this and came up with this formula:

Days to close = if('Breach Register'[Breach closed date]=BLANK(),'Breach Register'[Breach closed date],1.0*'Breach Register'[Breach closed date]-'Breach Register'[Date that breach discovered])

This seems to work ok.

Thanks for your help again.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear @Bimster,

You need to combine your DateDiff DAX with IF.

Ex:    New Day to close =   CALCULATE( IF ( CLoseDate <> blank(),   [your DateDif Formular] , ""))

Regards,

ManNVSM.

Capture.JPG

Hi ManNVSM,

I just tried this and am getting the above error:. Any idea on how to resolve this. The underlying data is being pulled through from a SharePoint list.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear @Bimster

Try this again with ALLEXCEPT.

Ex: New day to close = CALCULATE(IF('Breach Register'[Breach closed date] <> BLANK(),DATEDIFF('Breach Register'[Date that breach discovered],   'Breach Register'[Breach closed date], day)  
, ALLEXCEPT ('Breach Register'[Title]))

Regards,

ManNVSM.

Thanks for the help. I've tried this with the allexcept addition and the same error message is appearing.

It seems to be very complicated to do a date difference whilst ignoring blanks.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear @Bimster,

Can you share your pbix (delete the sensitive data or create dummy data) please?

Regards,

ManNVSM.

Hi ManNVSM,

Thanks for your help. You gave me the idea of using dummy data so I did this and came up with this formula:

Days to close = if('Breach Register'[Breach closed date]=BLANK(),'Breach Register'[Breach closed date],1.0*'Breach Register'[Breach closed date]-'Breach Register'[Date that breach discovered])

This seems to work ok.

Thanks for your help again.

Hello, Will this work in Direct Query?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Dear @Bimster,

It's nice to help you. So choose a reply that you think it 's a solution, it'll help the other user 🙂

Regards,

ManNVSM.

I am experiencing this same issue, but this does not work for me. It removes the columns from the variance when the date is missing. 

Date Variance = IF('Project'[ProjectBaseline1FinishDate]=BLANK(),'Project'[ProjectBaseline1FinishDate],1.0*'Project'[ProjectBaseline1FinishDate] -('Project'[ProjectBaseline0FinishDate]))

jthomson
Solution Sage
Solution Sage

Could do something like:

Days To Close = if(isblank([breach closed date]),blank(),[current measure you're using that's giving -43k something])

The Days to close column is the one I have added as a calculated column to try and calculate the 'days to close' each breach. This used the following:

Days to close = 1.0*('Breach Register'[Date that breach discovered]-'Breach Register'[Breach closed date])

So I don't think your suggestion will work.

I did try datediff but it errored stating one date can;t be before another. This occurred whether it was x-y or y-x.

I am trying to add a column in the visual to show that where a breach has been closed (breach closed date), the time it took to close. If if hasn't been closed i.e. Breach closed date is blank, then the entry in the new column will also be blank.

Thanks.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.