Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Data/Category Labels on Scatter Plot

I have a scatter chart visual in PowerBI, but the option to add data/category labels is not an option on for my chart. I want to add a label that calls out the y-value for each data point (Actual Wt). Help!

vlhohol_0-1612301601132.pngvlhohol_1-1612301620128.png

vlhohol_2-1612301646917.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous 
@parry2k Indeed there is a category label feature in scatter plot, sorry to not explained correctly.

The reason the option does not show up is probably because you had a non-numerical value/text type column in the X axis. To be clear, if both X and Y axis are numerical field with “Don't summarize”, you should able to turn on the category label. So please check your data type, if you need a non-numerical on x-axis, you may use line chart.

Paul Zheng _ Community Support Team
If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous 
@parry2k Indeed there is a category label feature in scatter plot, sorry to not explained correctly.

The reason the option does not show up is probably because you had a non-numerical value/text type column in the X axis. To be clear, if both X and Y axis are numerical field with “Don't summarize”, you should able to turn on the category label. So please check your data type, if you need a non-numerical on x-axis, you may use line chart.

If this post helps, please Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@V-pazhen-msft does not agree with you, you can show data category labels for scatter plot, in this case, I requested a sample file from @Anonymousto figure out a solution but unfortunately never received any reply. Having said that, you can always show category labels. Just my 2 cents.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

V-pazhen-msft
Community Support
Community Support

@Anonymous 

Scatter plot do not support show data label, it could look confuse when many plots are included in the chart, maybe you could use line chart as an alternative.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Anonymous Share sample pbix file, I might give it a try, it is not going to be straight forward, Remove sensitive information before sharing. Usually these kind of things are tricky and challenging and I love challenges and like to solve it (hopefully)

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Do you have a column in the Details field well?  You need to have a column there and a summarization or measure for X and Y, or have it empty with "Don't Summarize" as the aggregation for both X and Y columns?

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Anonymous
Not applicable

Details is empty and I have "Don't Summarize" for both the x and y axis'.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.