Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

Bare
Frequent Visitor

DAX measure to get first value dynamically with different time period windows

Hi All,

I need your help. I have researched possible solutions on this forum & the wider net, but couldn't find what I'm looking for. Much appreciate any help, pointer, assistance!

Scenario: I have a table with 3 columns, date & closing price & type. This of course links to a date table.

Requirement: I want to obtain the first price information per type against different time periods. Below image shows expected outcome for a 7-day period (column 'starting price', which is ultimately used as input to obtain column 'cumulated gains'):

Desired outcome.JPG

Objective: using above for context, I want to obtain first value as repeating values for that specific time window (in this case 7-day) as shown in column 'Starting price'. This value is then used to calculate column 'Cumulated gains' from start of each window

what I did so far: I used 'FIRSTDATE' function to obtain the first value. It works fine if only I wanted a card. However, when I plugged this in a more elaborate DAX statement, I get an error (as usual, undescriptive "table of multiple values was supplied where a single value was expected". Ok descriptive, but i have no clue where to begin!). See DAX code below:

dax code.JPG

Who knows? Probably, I am over complicating what is probably something easy. Hence my turning to you for help.

Looking forward to your assistance & help for pointers to what I'm doing wrong

Thanks

Bare

2 REPLIES 2
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@Bare one thing is not clear what define the 7 day period. Mon - Sun, sun to mon or something else?

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Bare
Frequent Visitor

Hi @parry2k 

Thanks for having a look.

I define Mon as 1, Sun as 7 per default. In praticse, the time window will be longer in years: 1, 3, & 5 yrs. I used here days for illustrative purposes only.

I've simply left the definition of the time period to the DATEADD function. Hence in the DAX code, I have used a 'nonblank' VAR to get the first non blank date if at the end of DATEADD we have a weekend.

I hope this helps and answers your question

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.