Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

margeausoboti
Frequent Visitor

DAX help

Hello, I am working with a very small data set (see image) and I am trying to find percentages based on filter criteria using DAX.

1. My first equation was to find the total count of each animal, per type and color = 161.

2. Next, I need to find the percentage per animal (count of animal divided by the total number of animals).

3. Last, I need to find the percentage per animal type (count of type divided by the total number of animals).

I have tried using different methods for this equation, but still am not getting the correct formula. Thank you!

data_set_sample.PNG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @margeausoboti,

You want to create a calculated column to get the percentage? If it is, please create calculated columns using the fomulas, and check if it works fine.

each type percentage =
CALCULATE ( SUM ( Table[Count] ), ALLEXCEPT ( Table, Table[tipo] ) )
    / SUMX ( ALL ( Table ), Table[Count] )

each Animal percentage =
CALCULATE ( SUM ( Table[Count] ), ALLEXCEPT ( Table, Table[Animal] ) )

each Color percentage =
CALCULATE ( SUM ( Table[Count] ), ALLEXCEPT ( Table, Table[Color] ) )

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any other issues.

Best Regards,
Angelia

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Vvelarde
Community Champion
Community Champion

@margeausoboti

Hi, Try with this Measures:

Count = COUNTROWS(Table1)

Count By ANimal = [Count]/CALCULATE([Count],All(Table1))

COunts.png

Lima - Peru

Hi, 

Thank you for looking into this for me. This it not the calculation that I am looking for. I want the totals of each line percentage. For example, I want to know the percentage of the amount of amphibians. There are 24 amphibians, and 161 animals total. Therefore, I need the calculation to be 24/161=15%. Does that help? I would need to SUM the type then divide by the total amount. Same for animal total, and color total. Thank you!

Hi @margeausoboti

I think Vvelarde has a good answer, there is a difference because of the dataset sample. Check this picture below.

c.png

Thank you everyone for all of your help! I went back and checked it again, I had another filter on my chart. After removing the filter, Angelia's syntax is exactly what I needed to resolve the issue. Can anyone recommend a course that I can take to learn DAX? I am a new user of DAX and would liketo become a super user! Thanks!

@margeausoboti

A time ago I found a good youtube channel about Power BI, every fridays there is a new topic about DAX. The Curbal woman has become my favourite : ) . Enjoy it !

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJ7UhloHSA4wAqPzyi6TOkw

Thank you!

Hi @margeausoboti,

You want to create a calculated column to get the percentage? If it is, please create calculated columns using the fomulas, and check if it works fine.

each type percentage =
CALCULATE ( SUM ( Table[Count] ), ALLEXCEPT ( Table, Table[tipo] ) )

each Animal percentage =
CALCULATE ( SUM ( Table[Count] ), ALLEXCEPT ( Table, Table[Animal] ) )

each Color percentage =
CALCULATE ( SUM ( Table[Count] ), ALLEXCEPT ( Table, Table[Color] ) )

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any other issues.

Best Regards,
Angelia

Hi Angelia,

Thank you for your response, you have been very helpful. This isn't however the percentage that I am looking for. I do need a DAX equation. This equation is calculating the row count for each animal, type or color. I also need to take into consideration of the count of animals. So for example, there are 9 frogs, however for each type and color there are different counts (see image). The count at the bottom is showing the number of rows, but I really need the TOTAL of frogs, which is 27. Then 27 divided by the total number of all animals, which is 161. I should get 16.7%. Is this possible to do in DAX? Thanks for all of your help!

frogs.JPG

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.