Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

readyOH
Frequent Visitor

DAX : Filter issue

Hi everyone,

I want to filter a field. For example, Total sales for every month except June

What I did :

CALCULATE(SUM('Table1'[Sales]);FILTER(ALL('Table1'[Month]);'Table1'[Month]<>"June"))

Great.... but it's a cumulative function.

How can I sum sales with filter without using the panel

filter

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Do you need to use FILTER ?

This works for me. And it ignore filters when made

Sales14 = CALCULATE(sum (SalesDetail[Sales Value £]), CalendarInv[Year] = 2014)

whereas using if doesn't. And filter doens't as well

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Measure-to-ignore-one-filter-ie-Year-2014-when-filter-for-ye...

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Greg_Deckler
Super User
Super User

Can you clarify what you are trying to do? You say you want "Total sales" but you say you don't want it to be cumulative??? I can't make heads or tails about what you want.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

Sorry smoupre

The criteria Month is a bad example. Let say : RevenueType  : Value : Product, services, others

So I can have the total sales by RevenueType product, services, others for each month of the year.

I want the sales for the value "products" and "services"

If i create a mesure SalesExceptOthers : CALCULATE(SUM('Table1'[Sales]);FILTER(ALL('Table1'[RevenueType]);'Table1'[RevenueType]<>"others"))

and then if i use this measure SalesExceptOthers in order to make a chart ( Y : SalesExceptOthers and X : month)

I will have a cumulative value each month. So February = Sales of January + Sales of February. March = Sales of February

What iwant is to have the total sales for each month, filter them with a criteria (for example RevenueType) without using the panel (see image above)

So, what it sounds like you want is your Measure coupled with a Matrix visualization. So, select your Product, Month and Measure and then select Matrix. Put your Product and Month in Rows and your Measure in Values. This should give you the effect that you are looking for if I understand what you are looking for.

@ me in replies or I'll lose your thread!!!
Instead of a Kudo, please vote for this idea
Become an expert!: Enterprise DNA
External Tools: MSHGQM
YouTube Channel!: Microsoft Hates Greg
Latest book!:
The Definitive Guide to Power Query (M)

DAX is easy, CALCULATE makes DAX hard...

thank you

off course it's possible to use a matrix, like we do in Excel.

But what I want is create a measure TotalSalesExceptOthers, and this measure will be used in differents visualisations, such as

basic-area-chart https://support.powerbi.com/knowledgebase/articles/653149-tutorial-basic-area-chart

and for creating other measure. for example the rate : SalesExceptOthers/TotalSales etc

It is a basic request : i guess everybody wants to have a filtered measure (in order to exclude data). But CALCULATE(SUM('Table1'[Sales]);FILTER(ALL('Table1'[RevenueType]);'Table1'[RevenueType]<>"others"))  is a cumulative formula

Depends how you use the filters in order to be a cumulative formula.Try not to use ALL inside FILTER..

Konstantinos Ioannou

yes thanks @RJ and @konstantinos

Without using FILTER, it is not cumulative

so my formula becomes

CALCULATE(SUM('Table1'[Sales]);'Table1'[RevenueType]<>"others"))

Do you need to use FILTER ?

This works for me. And it ignore filters when made

Sales14 = CALCULATE(sum (SalesDetail[Sales Value £]), CalendarInv[Year] = 2014)

whereas using if doesn't. And filter doens't as well

http://community.powerbi.com/t5/Desktop/Measure-to-ignore-one-filter-ie-Year-2014-when-filter-for-ye...

Are you talking about using a slicer?  So you would have your fields you want to slice by ("products" and "Services" ), and then your chart/graph/whatever shows Sales by month?

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.