Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

sjacob
Frequent Visitor

DAX Calculation for Unique Sum

Hello, I would like to get some help and support with the following DAX I've created:

Direct Group Time =
SUMX(
    FILTER('crdb contact', NOT(ISBLANK('crdb contact'[ContactGroupID])) && 'crdb contact'[ContactGroupID] <> 0),
    [Direct Contact Time]
)

I'm trying to get the sum of minutes from the Direct Contact Time measure from each unique ContactGroupID. Here is a table called Contact as an example. From the above DAX I'm wanting to get the sum of time from a unique ContactGroupID, instead, the above is calculating all the rows. The Direct Contact Time is a measure I've created that sums the Time 1 to Time16 columns. So for example, with the above calculation, I want a sum of 60 + 20 to show for ContactGroupID 1122 and not 60 + 20 + 60 + 20. Appreciate any help and support with this:

DateContactIDContactGroupIDTime1Time2
Oct 512311226020
Oct 511211226020
Oct 714222333030
Oct 712522333030
Oct 745622333030
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@sjacob Try this:

Measure 3 = 
SUMX ( 
    SUMMARIZE ( 
        FILTER ( MyTable2, MyTable2[ContactGroupID] <> 0 ),
        MyTable2[ContactGroupID], 
        MyTable2[Time1], 
        MyTable2[Time2] 
    ), 
    [Time1] + [Time2] 
) 

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@sjacob Try this:

Measure 3 = 
SUMX ( 
    SUMMARIZE ( 
        FILTER ( MyTable2, MyTable2[ContactGroupID] <> 0 ),
        MyTable2[ContactGroupID], 
        MyTable2[Time1], 
        MyTable2[Time2] 
    ), 
    [Time1] + [Time2] 
) 

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Hello @parry2k thank you very much for this update. This works perfectly! Appreciate your support with this.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@sjacob can you explain with example data? 

Hi @parry2k thanks for your response. Sure, for example here is sample table:

DateContactIDContactGroupIDTime1Time2
Oct 512311226020
Oct 511211226020
Oct 714222333030
Oct 712503030
Oct 745603030

From the DAX calculation, I would only want the sum of the unique rows of ContactGroupID that don't equal 0. So just the first row and third row for example.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@sjacob not sure why but it is working for me, how you are visualizing it:

parry2k_0-1696538143220.png

Hi @parry2k thank you for the response. I did a matrix visualization and I can actually see it working now thank you. However there's a missing piece I forgot to mention. I would like to only get this calculation for the unique rows with a ContactGroupID that is not 0. Looking forward to your response.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@sjacob try this measure:

Measure 3 = SUMX ( SUMMARIZE ( MyTable2, MyTable2[ContactGroupID], MyTable2[Time1], MyTable2[Time2] ), [Time1] + [Time2] ) 

Thank you for your response. I tried this measure, but it still sums all the rows from this table. I want to be able to sum a unique ContactGroupID, so like the first row of each ContactGroupID.

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.