Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

WEW2
Regular Visitor

DATESBETWEEN Date and Time Field

Im confused.  I've read for Date and time functions that's its best to have a date or calendar table.  I have a table called reservations with the following fields:  DriverID (string), PickUpDate (DateTime), Revenue(Double)

THe second table is called shifts with the fields DriverID, ShiftStart (Datetime),ShiftEnd(DateTime).  In the second table I want to add a colum to calculate the total revenue per shift by driver.  The problem is that many shifts run after midnight so the time of day has to part of the calculation.  I've tried: CALCULATE(Sum(reservations[Revenue]),Filter(reservations,[DriverID]=shifts([DriverID]),DATESBETWEEN(reservations[PickUPDate],shift[shiftstart],shift[shiftend])).

I get "A date column containing duplicate dates was specified in the call to function 'DATESBETWEEN'. This not supported."

I use a similar function with just a date (no time) and it works fine.  What am I missing here as I'm not how a calendar or date table helps with time?

Thanks, 

6 REPLIES 6
perassolli
Frequent Visitor

Ward, i'm with the same issue.

DAX is a very powerful language.  It has an ability to morph in ways you wouldn't normally expect based on other software.  If you create a new column, subtract the end column from the start column, then format this column as a decimal number, you will get a fraction of a full day worked.

Another example.  If you have 2 columns of integers Table[Int1] and Table[Int2], the following formula will work

Table[Int1] & Table[Int2]*2

DAX will multiply column 2 by 2, then append the result via concatenation to the back of column 1.  Not normally you would normally expect, but very powerful.

Now another thing is that I would not be using a calculated column for your example.  It is very common for Excel users to do this, but is is 'normally' not the best way (normally based on my experience working with Excel users migrating to Power Pivot).  You should consider using a Measure for your calcuation.  

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Hi

I created the below new measure

PreviousYearAmount = CALCULATE(SUM[TaxAmt], DATEADD([Invoice Date],-1,YEAR))

And I get the below error

Calculation error in measure: A Date column with duplicate dates specified in the call function 'DATEADD'. This is not supported.

How do I resolve this?

Many invoices can be generated on a single date.

So in the filters provided, if year=2015 and month= Dec , my visual should comparison of Dec-15 amount with Dec-14.

if year=2014 and month= Dec then visual should comparison of Dec-13 and Dec-14.

The first parameter of DATEADD should be the column in your Calendar table.  It looks like you are using a measure or a column in your fact table

* Matt is an 8 times Microsoft MVP (Power BI) and author of the Power BI Book Supercharge Power BI.

Hi

Sorry, I didn't get your message.

I want to know if I am creating a new measure (not a new column) can't I use a date column that has multiple duplicate values?

What is the resolution to this problem?

Sean
Community Champion
Community Champion

Time Intelligence Functions which DATEDD is one of - require a Date/Calendar table in your Data Model.

Go to Matt's link here and create one

http://www.powerpivotpro.com/2015/02/create-a-custom-calendar-in-power-query/

Then change your formula

PY Amount = CALCULATE(SUM([TaxAmt]), DATEADD(CalendarTableName[DateColumn], -1, YEAR) )

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.