Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

joshua1990
Post Prodigy
Post Prodigy

Current Best Practicies - Switch Dollar and Unit in Visual

Hi all,

it seems like there are some exciting updates / features that allows us now to easily switch visuals from a unit to a dollar display etc.

In my scenario, I have a data model with a single transactional table, that contains for each sales order 4 different columns with values values in units and 1 column with the individual costs per unit for each order:

Order Value 1 Value 2 Value 3 Value 4 $
1 10 15 5 60 5

THen I have a matrix visual in the report the displays these units for each department as a sum.

Now I would like to add a slicer to select Units or Dollars to display the values in units or units * $.

How would you do that?

• SWITCH Measure for each column in the matrix?
  • Calculated groups?
  • Bookmark with 2 visuals?

Any thoughts on that?

5 REPLIES 5
Idrissshatila
Super User
Super User

Hello @joshua1990 ,

so, you create a new column to calculate the values in another currency, the make a field parameter that has the first currency value column and the new column.

then in the matrix you put the value of the field parameter and you'll a slicer that has the two columns currencies to switch with and the values would easily switched between the two columns.

If I answered your question, please mark my post as solution, Appreciate your Kudos 👍

Follow me on Linkedin

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos
Follow me on LinkedIn linkedIn
Vote for my Community Mobile App Idea

Proud to be a Super User!

@Idrissshatila Thanks. But as I mentioned, there are 4 columns with units. So the field parameter would have 8 columns in the end, right? I don't want to select the columns in the end, I would like to switch the values.

Idrissshatila
Super User
Super User

Hello @joshua1990 ,

You could do that using field parameters ( same as calculated groups), I think its a best option.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/power-bi/create-reports/power-bi-field-parameters

If I answered your question, please mark my post as solution, Appreciate your Kudos 👍

Follow me on Linkedin

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Appreciate your Kudos
Follow me on LinkedIn linkedIn
Vote for my Community Mobile App Idea

Proud to be a Super User!

@Idrissshatila Thanks. Could you please explain the total approach? Calculated columns for both Units and Dollar? Add these columns as a Field Parameter then? How can I easily switch then from dollars to units all at once?

If i understood your request correctly the below tutorial should be helpful in terms of selecting which column to display in your visual.

New Feature: Slicer to choose which columns to display on chart using Fields Parameter in PowerBI - ...

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.