Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

manhuynguyen
Frequent Visitor

Currency Conversion

Hi Power BI Users,
I have a set of data (image) that include multiple currency, all formatted as "Text". What could be the best way to convert them into USD? Data is on monthly basis, the desire report outlook would be: Country - Month - Amount (USD). Thank you
manhuynguyen_0-1647609739948.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thank you. Please also provide a sample of your FX table for the currencies mentioned. 

Here is the Power Query code to ingest your fact data

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("Tc4xDoMwDIXhq1jMlmU7CXbWFtpKIISoOiHuf41CClHH/1veW9fmeZtBnNRaZG42/Ekw/89IynyBkGZBSdB/lhPEA7pXyNFQY00NGU1rOnk6xmAepwKRjBNmhfvrcYKmYw66YSgQjInLA3j3O21f", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Current Value" = _t]),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Value", each let s = Text.Split([Current Value]," ") in  if Text.Start([Current Value],1)>"9" then s{1} else s{0}),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "Currency", each let s = Text.Split([Current Value]," ") in  if Text.Start([Current Value],1)>"9" then s{0} else s{1}),
    #"Changed Type with Locale" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Custom1", {{"Value", type number}}, "de-DE")
in
    #"Changed Type with Locale"

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
manhuynguyen
Frequent Visitor

Hi, 

Thank you for your response. I will use the exchange rate DIM table provided internally by my company. What I'm stucking at is that

1) The data come by text form, e.g: "999 EUR". And some are mixing in format, e.g: "999 EUR" vs. "GBP 999", which makes delimited column by space not possible. 

2) The number format is also not good: it's "123.456,78" instead of "123,456.78" so my PBI does not recognize them at numbers.

What would you suggest to solve these issues?

Thanks.

Please provide sanitized sample data that fully covers your issue. If you paste the data into a table in your post or use one of the file services it will be easier to work with. Avoid posting screenshots of your source data if possible.

Please show the expected outcome based on the sample data you provided. Screenshots of the expected outcome are ok.

Here is the sample data. I hope it's clear enough.

Current ValueExpected Value
GBP 18.276,00       18,276.00GBP
GBP 378,00             378.00GBP
GBP 4.200,00          4,200.00GBP
1.291,15 EUR          1,291.15EUR
1.183,88 EUR          1,183.88EUR
947,24 EUR             947.24EUR
239,72 EUR             239.72EUR
8.856,00 PLN          8,856.00PLN
4.705,92 CHF          4,705.92CHF
4.250,00 DKK          4,250.00DKK
370.000,00 SEK     370,000.00SEK

Thank you. Please also provide a sample of your FX table for the currencies mentioned. 

Here is the Power Query code to ingest your fact data

let
    Source = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("Tc4xDoMwDIXhq1jMlmU7CXbWFtpKIISoOiHuf41CClHH/1veW9fmeZtBnNRaZG42/Ekw/89IynyBkGZBSdB/lhPEA7pXyNFQY00NGU1rOnk6xmAepwKRjBNmhfvrcYKmYw66YSgQjInLA3j3O21f", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type nullable text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [#"Current Value" = _t]),
    #"Added Custom" = Table.AddColumn(Source, "Value", each let s = Text.Split([Current Value]," ") in  if Text.Start([Current Value],1)>"9" then s{1} else s{0}),
    #"Added Custom1" = Table.AddColumn(#"Added Custom", "Currency", each let s = Text.Split([Current Value]," ") in  if Text.Start([Current Value],1)>"9" then s{0} else s{1}),
    #"Changed Type with Locale" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Added Custom1", {{"Value", type number}}, "de-DE")
in
    #"Changed Type with Locale"

Hi, I only use the "Change Type with Locale" of your suggestion. For the other steps, I added custom columns with "Text.select" and "Text.remove" query. But I suppose your code will do the same tricks. It works charmly now. Thank you very much

lbendlin
Super User
Super User

Which exchange rate service are you planning to use? Does that service have an API?  What type of rate do you need?   Please provide a more detailed explanation of what you are aiming to achieve. What have you tried and where are you stuck?

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.