Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

jnnilesh29
Helper III
Helper III

Cumulative Total till Certain Date

Hello Everyone, 

I'm new to PowerBI and trying to look for a DAX formula for the cumulative value till a certain month. 

I have a data till June 2021 but I want to show the cumulative value till May 2020 only. 

I'm using the following formula which is showing the all values

Cumulative Earned Labor Units = 
CALCULATE(
    [Planned Cost],
    FILTER(
        ALL('Calendar'[Date]),
        'Calendar'[Date]<=MAX('Calendar'[Date]
    )
))

jnnilesh29_0-1593297845763.png

Could somebody help me to show the cumulative value till May 2020 only?

Your help is appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,

Nilesh Jain 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Thanks Parvinder for you help.

2Cumulative Planned Labor Units = 
VAR __stopDate = DATE ( 2020, 05, 29 )
RETURN
CALCULATE (
      SUMX (
        FILTER ( 
            ALL ( 'Calendar'[Date] ), 
            'Calendar'[Date] <= MAX ( 'Calendar'[Date] )
        ),
        [Planned Cost]
    ),
    KEEPFILTERS ( 'Calendar'[Date] <= __stopDate )
)

The above code sent by you did work. I really appreciate your help. 

@parry2k 

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
mahoneypat
Employee
Employee

Please try this expression

VAR __thismax =
    MAX ( 'Calendar'[Date] )
VAR __total =
    CALCULATE (
        [Planned Cost],
        FILTER ( ALL ( 'Calendar'[Date] ), 'Calendar'[Date] <= __thismax )
    )
RETURN
    IF ( __thismax <= DATE ( 2020, 5, 30 ), __total )

If this works for you, please mark it as the solution.  Kudos are appreciated too.  Please let me know if not.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

To learn more about Power BI, follow me on Twitter or subscribe on YouTube.

@mahoneypa HoosierBI on YouTube

Thanks for your help, Pat.

However, the code is not working and I'm getting the following error.

jnnilesh29_0-1593301036813.png

Also, I changed _thisdate to _thismax but then I'm not able to add the measure under the value/line value section of any visualization.

I fixed the original reply.  __thisdate should have been __total.

Regards,

Pat

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution! Kudos are also appreciated!

Great.

It did work but I can see the value till 2019 only despite we have (2020,05,30)

I tried the same with (2021,05,30) and I can see the value till 2020. Is this normal?

Please let me know. 

Also, I appreciate your quick reply, Pat.

Regards,

Nilesh Jain

Since you are using the Year column in your visual, use DATE(2020, 12, 31).

Regards,

Pat

@jnnilesh29 you can also try something like this

VAR __stopDate = DATE ( 2020, 12, 31 ) --give the date where you want to stop the total
RETURN
CALCULATE (
      CALCULATE (
        [Planned Cost],
        FILTER ( ALL ( 'Calendar'[Date] ), 'Calendar'[Date] <= MAX ( 'Calendar'[Date] )
    ),
    'Calendar'[Date] <= __stopDate 
)

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop shop for Power BI related projects/training/consultancy.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

Hi parry2k, 

Thanks, I did work and now the cumulative value is correctly reflected.

However, in the visualization a straight line is seen after the stop date. 

My stop date is May 29, 2020. 

jnnilesh29_0-1593310809818.png

Is there a way we stop the line after the stop date?

I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

@jnnilesh29 I don't expect it to continue and should stop at May 05th, 2020. Something else is going on there, can you share pbix file, remove any sensitive information before sharing.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

@jnnilesh29 try one change and if it doesn't work, send pbix

VAR __stopDate = DATE ( 2020, 12, 31 ) --give the date where you want to stop the total
RETURN
CALCULATE (
      CALCULATE (
        [Planned Cost],
        FILTER ( ALL ( 'Calendar'[Date] ), 'Calendar'[Date] <= MAX ( 'Calendar'[Date] )
    ),
)

I would  Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop shop for Power BI related projects/training/consultancy.

Hi Parvinder,

The line still continues beyond the stop date. 

jnnilesh29_0-1593312315199.png

I have emailed you the pdix file.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Nilesh Jain

@jnnilesh29 no problem, haven't received yet. Will take a look as soon as I have it.

Thanks Parvinder for you help.

2Cumulative Planned Labor Units = 
VAR __stopDate = DATE ( 2020, 05, 29 )
RETURN
CALCULATE (
      SUMX (
        FILTER ( 
            ALL ( 'Calendar'[Date] ), 
            'Calendar'[Date] <= MAX ( 'Calendar'[Date] )
        ),
        [Planned Cost]
    ),
)

The above code sent by you did work. I really appreciate your help. 

@parry2k 

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.