Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

nmyre
Helper III
Helper III

Cumulative/Running Total of payments based on daily updates.

Hello,

I am unsure if this is possible, but I am trying to make a column or measure that adds itself to the previous days data. The issue comes from the date column getting rewrote each time I load the new days data. I am trying to track totals from each day. I think a visual will help, as I know it sounds confusing. I have 2 tables. One is a date table, one is the Funds table and have a relationship by date, like so:

16 July BI Help 3.jpg

Below are 3 days (or 3 separate data pulls) of the 'Funds' table on 9 July, 10 July, and 11 July. There are 2 elements (10 and 14) in the [Name] column and each have a [Total Budget]. Then is the [Budget Line] with their [Cost]. I added an [Amount Change] Column to visualize the change happening from day to day. Last is the [Load Date]. On the 9th I load the first table. The morning of the 10th, I load the new data and the [Load Date] column changes from 9 to 10 July. The same happens every day. 

16 July BI Help.jpg

The Second Table is the Date table. It looks like this:

16 July BI Help 2.jpg

[Todays Date], [Todays_Visual], and [Running Column] are all added functions used to display the date on the home dashboard. The [Cost Running Total] was my attempt, but it only has the total of the day I loaded it. The green [What I want] Column shows the sum of the 'Funds'[Cost] from the corresponding days pull. Is this possible?

If you need clarification please let me know.

-N

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
nmyre
Helper III
Helper III

Reached out to a friend, here is the answer:

"If we are trying to force this into action the answer is in the naming of the files.  When I deal with cross sectional time series data I deal with it by naming the file the as of date that I pulled it.  Something as simple as all of the files will end with _20200723.  Then in the transformation of from file from folder in the M before you expand the content you create an M that extracts that section, transforms it to a date, then expands it along with the rest of the files.  Something like this:  IF it doesn’t make sense let me know.  But you are basically pulling out the date from the delimiter (farthest right if could be multiple) and then using a function on the content to expand that with all of the details in the files within the folder.  This is a video I googled just now to see it…as I can’t actually get to youtube not sure the quality but It appears to show the functions of it.  If needed let me know and I will throw together a quick video and post it out there for you Example Here "

Here is the sample file and the second section is the beginning of the M

let

Source = Folder.Files(FILEPATH&"\Data\DIMES_DCMS_I_001"),

#"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(Source, "Name", Splitter.SplitTextByEachDelimiter({"_"}, QuoteStyle.Csv, true), {"Name.1", "Name.2"}),

#"Split Column by Delimiter1" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Split Column by Delimiter", "Name.2", Splitter.SplitTextByEachDelimiter({"."}, QuoteStyle.Csv, true), {"Name.2.1", "Name.2.2"}),

#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter1",{{"Name.2.1", type date}}),

#"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Changed Type",{"Name.2.1", "Content"}),

Navigation1 = #"Removed Other Columns"{0}[Content]

in

Navigation1

------------------------------------------------------

let

#"Split Column by Delimiter" = Table.SplitColumn(Source, "Name", Splitter.SplitTextByEachDelimiter({"_"}, QuoteStyle.Csv, true), {"Name.1", "Name.2"}),

#"Split Column by Delimiter1" = Table.SplitColumn(#"Split Column by Delimiter", "Name.2", Splitter.SplitTextByEachDelimiter({"."}, QuoteStyle.Csv, true), {"Name.2.1", "Name.2.2"}),

#"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Split Column by Delimiter1",{{"Name.2.1", type date}}),

#"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Changed Type",{"Name.2.1", "Content"}),

#"Invoked Custom Function" = Table.AddColumn(#"Removed Other Columns", "Transform File (2)", each #"Transform File (2)"([Content])),

#"Removed Other Columns1" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Invoked Custom Function",{"Name.2.1", "Transform File (2)"}),

#"Expanded Transform File (2)" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Removed Other Columns1", "Transform File (2)", {"Column1", "Column2", "Column3", "Column4", "Column5", "Column6", "Column7", "Column8", "Column9", "Column10", "Column11", "Column12", "Column13", "Column14", "Column15", "Column16", "Column17", "Column18", "Column19", "Column20", "Column21", "Column22", "Column23", "Column24", "Column25", "Column26", "Column27", "Column28", "Column29", "Column30", "Column31", "Column32", "Column33", "Column34", "Column35", "Column36", "Column37", "Column38", "Column39", "Column40"}, {"Column1", "Column2", "Column3", "Column4", "Column5", "Column6", "Column7", "Column8", "Column9", "Column10", "Column11", "Column12", "Column13", "Column14", "Column15", "Column16", "Column17", "Column18", "Column19", "Column20", "Column21", "Column22", "Column23", "Column24", "Column25", "Column26", "Column27", "Column28", "Column29", "Column30", "Column31", "Column32", "Column33", "Column34", "Column35", "Column36", "Column37", "Column38", "Column39", "Column40"}),

#"Removed Top Rows" = Table.Skip(#"Expanded Transform File (2)",2),

#"Added Conditional Column" = Table.AddColumn(#"Removed Top Rows", "Custom", each if [Column1] = "Document_Id" then "REPORT DATE" else [Name.2.1]),

#"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Conditional Column",{"Name.2.1"}),

#"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"Removed Columns", [PromoteAllScalars=true]),

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
nmyre
Helper III
Helper III

Reached out to a friend, here is the answer:

"If we are trying to force this into action the answer is in the naming of the files.  When I deal with cross sectional time series data I deal with it by naming the file the as of date that I pulled it.  Something as simple as all of the files will end with _20200723.  Then in the transformation of from file from folder in the M before you expand the content you create an M that extracts that section, transforms it to a date, then expands it along with the rest of the files.  Something like this:  IF it doesn’t make sense let me know.  But you are basically pulling out the date from the delimiter (farthest right if could be multiple) and then using a function on the content to expand that with all of the details in the files within the folder.  This is a video I googled just now to see it…as I can’t actually get to youtube not sure the quality but It appears to show the functions of it.  If needed let me know and I will throw together a quick video and post it out there for you Example Here "

Here is the sample file and the second section is the beginning of the M

let

Navigation1 = #"Removed Other Columns"{0}[Content]

in

Navigation1

------------------------------------------------------

let

#"Invoked Custom Function" = Table.AddColumn(#"Removed Other Columns", "Transform File (2)", each #"Transform File (2)"([Content])),

#"Removed Other Columns1" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Invoked Custom Function",{"Name.2.1", "Transform File (2)"}),

#"Expanded Transform File (2)" = Table.ExpandTableColumn(#"Removed Other Columns1", "Transform File (2)", {"Column1", "Column2", "Column3", "Column4", "Column5", "Column6", "Column7", "Column8", "Column9", "Column10", "Column11", "Column12", "Column13", "Column14", "Column15", "Column16", "Column17", "Column18", "Column19", "Column20", "Column21", "Column22", "Column23", "Column24", "Column25", "Column26", "Column27", "Column28", "Column29", "Column30", "Column31", "Column32", "Column33", "Column34", "Column35", "Column36", "Column37", "Column38", "Column39", "Column40"}, {"Column1", "Column2", "Column3", "Column4", "Column5", "Column6", "Column7", "Column8", "Column9", "Column10", "Column11", "Column12", "Column13", "Column14", "Column15", "Column16", "Column17", "Column18", "Column19", "Column20", "Column21", "Column22", "Column23", "Column24", "Column25", "Column26", "Column27", "Column28", "Column29", "Column30", "Column31", "Column32", "Column33", "Column34", "Column35", "Column36", "Column37", "Column38", "Column39", "Column40"}),

#"Removed Top Rows" = Table.Skip(#"Expanded Transform File (2)",2),

#"Added Conditional Column" = Table.AddColumn(#"Removed Top Rows", "Custom", each if [Column1] = "Document_Id" then "REPORT DATE" else [Name.2.1]),

#"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Added Conditional Column",{"Name.2.1"}),

#"Promoted Headers" = Table.PromoteHeaders(#"Removed Columns", [PromoteAllScalars=true]),

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@nmyre , what is running total formula you used.

Can you share sample data and sample output in a table format?

have you tried creating a running total from the quick measure?

@amitchandak 

Here is the formula for the running total formula on the Cost Running Column.

16 July BI Help 4.jpg

I also have a 'Cost Running Total' measure that I have tried. Here it is:

BI obs running 5.jpg

I can share some real sample data if you wish, but I fear it will just make things confusing as the data tables have over 30 columns with elements that likely doesn't help and thousands of lines of data. I can share the simplified tables though:

NameTotal Budget Budget Line Cost (K) Amt ChangeLoad Date
14 $          1,000.001 $       5.0007/9/2020
14 $          1,000.002 $     10.0007/9/2020
14 $          1,000.003 $     15.0007/9/2020
14 $          1,000.004 $     20.0007/9/2020
14 $          1,000.005 $     10.0007/9/2020
10 $             550.001 $       5.0007/9/2020
10 $             550.002 $       5.0007/9/2020

NameTotal Budget Budget Line Cost (K)  Amt Change Load Date
14 $     1,000.001 $     7.00 $     2.007/10/2020
14 $     1,000.002 $   12.00 $     2.007/10/2020
14 $     1,000.003 $     5.00 $ (10.00)7/10/2020
14 $     1,000.004 $   30.00 $   10.007/10/2020
14 $     1,000.005 $   10.00 $          -  7/10/2020
10 $        550.001 $     8.00 $     3.007/10/2020
10 $        550.002 $     5.00 $          -  7/10/2020

Here is an example of the output I am looking for. It is from a different model so the numbers are off.

16 July BI Help correct example.jpg

Here the total builds off of each day, like a running total. The difference is, most running totals have something like "Sales Date" or a date column that is linked to the running total in the data table itself. My data table refreshes everyday, so instead of having a "Sales Date" it has the date I loaded the data. The result is this:

no name.png

I hope that helps.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.