Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

mcockram85
Regular Visitor

Creating a funnel with the ability to filter by Page URL/Name

Hi guys

I am pretty new to PowerBI and have bumped into an issue when trying to use the funnel visualisation to show the total number of visitors at each of the following stage:

1. Unique Website Visitors
  2. Engaged Website Visitors
  3. Applications
  4. Offers Made
  5. Firm Acceptances

I am struggling to get the above 5 columns from this dummy dataset/PBX file. into a useable format so that I can use them as steps for funnel to show the sum of people at each stage of the funnel.

I also want to be able to use the Page Name value as a filter/slicer within the report to be able to refine the funnel data to show me the values for a specific page.

The dummy dataset only has 21 pages but in reality we've got 1000+ different URLs that we'd want to be able to include and filter by.

If anyone is able to guide me on how best to approach this or point me in the direction of a resolution I'd be hugely appreciative.

All the best

Mack 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@HotChilli Yes that will work but I don't think it will be a scalable solution and that's why I didn't suggest that. Also with unpivot, you can filter for any stage and maybe there are other needs where this dataset will be used. 

With the current state (Pivoted table), if you have to create explicit measures (which is preferred), you have to do for each stage and think of, if there is another stage in the future, you have to come back to Power BI and add that stage measure in the visual whereas, with Unpviot, it doesn't matter if your stages changes in the future, it will still work.

Just my 2 cents.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂
Feel free to email me with any of your BI needs.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
parry2k
Super User
Super User

@HotChilli Yes that will work but I don't think it will be a scalable solution and that's why I didn't suggest that. Also with unpivot, you can filter for any stage and maybe there are other needs where this dataset will be used. 

With the current state (Pivoted table), if you have to create explicit measures (which is preferred), you have to do for each stage and think of, if there is another stage in the future, you have to come back to Power BI and add that stage measure in the visual whereas, with Unpviot, it doesn't matter if your stages changes in the future, it will still work.

Just my 2 cents.

Subscribe to the @PowerBIHowTo YT channel for an upcoming video on List and Record functions in Power Query!!

Learn Power BI and Fabric - subscribe to our YT channel - Click here: @PowerBIHowTo

If my solution proved useful, I'd be delighted to receive Kudos. When you put effort into asking a question, it's equally thoughtful to acknowledge and give Kudos to the individual who helped you solve the problem. It's a small gesture that shows appreciation and encouragement! ❤

Did I answer your question? Mark my post as a solution. Proud to be a Super User! Appreciate your Kudos 🙂

Thanks @parry2k and @HotChilli for your responses.

I'm away from my PC at the moment but I'll try out the unpivot option first and see how that works out and failing that I'll try @HotChilli suggestion.

I'll let you know how I get on 👍

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@mcockram85 see attached, it has both pivot and unpivot solution. I will go with Unpivoted solution.

Check my latest blog post Comparing Selected Client With Other Top N Clients | PeryTUS  I would ❤ Kudos if my solution helped. 👉 If you can spend time posting the question, you can also make efforts to give Kudos to whoever helped to solve your problem. It is a token of appreciation!

Visit us at https://perytus.com, your one-stop-shop for Power BI-related projects/training/consultancy.

HotChilli
Super User
Super User

Can't you just drag the numeric fields into the Values well of the funnel vis?  They'll default to Sum.  Shift them around to get the order needed.

You can create a dimension table with your Page Name column -> Do this in Power Query.  Make a slicer from this and check the relationship screen to make sure it's related to the main table.

parry2k
Super User
Super User

@mcockram85 the best approach would be to unpivot the data, if you can share the excel file you used in the report I can create the solution and give it back to you.

Thanks for the swift response @parry2k 

The Excel file can be found here for you to look at.

All the best!

Mack

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.