Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grow your Fabric skills and prepare for the DP-600 certification exam by completing the latest Microsoft Fabric challenge.

RachelFoulg
Frequent Visitor

Creating a dataset from multiple excel files

Hi,

I have a folder full of lots of Excel spreadsheets that I'd like to use as a dataset. I've been able to connect to it and to combine and load all of the files into PowerBI, which is really useful, but I then get new data weekly that also needs to be added. Currently every time I need to add a new file with new data it reloads everything, which takes a long time. Is there a way that I could load all of the historical data from each spreadsheet just once, and then every week just append with the new weekly file without reloading everything?

Thank you very much in advance for any help!

Best wishes,

Rachel

2 REPLIES 2
v-heq-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @RachelFoulg ,
Based on your description, I checked the documentation on the issue, since you are trying to use the updated data but don't want to reload the old data, which means you have the same table structure, then you can use Append queries in power query to achieve what you want to accomplish.As this post says you can merge the old and new data sources
Solved: Adding another set of data/ spreadsheet into exist... - Microsoft Fabric Community
You can refer to this official document for more on append queries
Append queries - Power Query | Microsoft Learn

Best regards

Albert He

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly

Helpful resources

Announcements
Europe Fabric Conference

Europe’s largest Microsoft Fabric Community Conference

Join the community in Stockholm for expert Microsoft Fabric learning including a very exciting keynote from Arun Ulag, Corporate Vice President, Azure Data.

RTI Forums Carousel3

New forum boards available in Real-Time Intelligence.

Ask questions in Eventhouse and KQL, Eventstream, and Reflex.

MayPowerBICarousel1

Power BI Monthly Update - May 2024

Check out the May 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.