Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

ranjitsingh
Advocate I
Advocate I

Creating Single vs Multiple Data Models for the same database

I have a fairly complex dataset with multiple fact and dimension tables and its getting difficult to create a single data model which resembles anything close to a traditional star schema. I'm thinking of creating separate simple data model star schema layouts with only 1 or 2 fact tables and required dimension tables around them..Then create the visuals I need over them separately and then publish all reports to 'my workspace' and bring them all together in a single dashboard.

1) Should I do this or its not possible or advisable ?

2) Will dimension slicers still work across visualizations (from different data model/reports) in the same dashboard (because eventually they are all from the same data source) ? I'm guessing not..

@lbendlin @selimovd @Jihwan_Kim 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ranjitsingh 

Trust me: any dataset can be decomposed into a star schema. It does not matter how many fact tables you have. They can be linked through conformed dimensions.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ranjitsingh 

Trust me: any dataset can be decomposed into a star schema. It does not matter how many fact tables you have. They can be linked through conformed dimensions.

Helpful resources

Announcements
PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.