Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Creating Relationships on Text columns

I'm not able to create a 1 to many relationship on a text field. I keep running into this problem and am not sure what I'm doing wrong.

I've done the following:

In power query - trimmed, removed null values, made sure everything is in upper case

Dax - concatenated fields to create a unique value

I made sure I'm trying to create the relationship on the correct column - searched for null or blank values in both tables again, and came up with nothing.

Both columns are Text type.

I exported my unique table and tried to highlight duplicates, and there are none - yet Power BI won't let me create the 1:* relationship.

What could the issue be?

Timely filing table contains a unique list of 'Entity-Provider'

Entity-ProvNbr = CONCATENATE( 'Timely Filing'[Entity], 'Timely Filing'[ProvNbr])

Aging Detail has many - 

Entity-ProvNbr = CONCATENATE('Aging Invoice Detail'[Entity], 'Aging Invoice Detail'[Prov Nbr])

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Anonymous
Not applicable

well.... I went back into power query and on my dimension table, removed duplicates (even though there were none). Now it's letting me create the relationship.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

well.... I went back into power query and on my dimension table, removed duplicates (even though there were none). Now it's letting me create the relationship.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.