Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

Wonderboy101

Creating Maps in Power BI

Hello, first time poster here and starting my journey with Power BI.

I have been tasked with creating an interactive map in Power BI and am already stuck.

My data is thousands of rows of money transfer data and consists of many columns but the ones I want to focus on are the sending banks country code and also the beneficiary banks country code.

I want to create a visual that has a slicer (to select the country code of the sender) and then on the map, it shows the number of transactions and the total amount of those transactions plotted against the country,

I'm not great with Power BI yet as still learning and really need some guidance, google gives me varying answers and keeps pointing me to changing the country code data type to location but that isn't showing as an option.

If someone can help that would be amazing.

Kind regards

Carl

2 REPLIES 2
v-yilong-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @Wonderboy101 ,

I create a table as you mentioned. Power BI's filled map uses the Bing Maps API to get geocoded locations and outlines. It is not enough for filled map to recognize the regions using Acronyms. Please use full name of these regions, and set data category to Continent or Place in filled map.

vyilongmsft_0-1713491871229.png

When I select Column3, I click on Data category. It can change the things you want. You need to make sure the Data type is Text.

vyilongmsft_1-1713492090355.png

Best Regards

Yilong Zhou

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Wonderboy101

To add I also have fields for payment amount and payment currency.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.