Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Earn a 50% discount on the DP-600 certification exam by completing the Fabric 30 Days to Learn It challenge.

kbryantUSL
Frequent Visitor

Creating Headcount by Minute

Hello all!

I am making a daily report for a short-term project that tracks (among other things) headcount in a secure area on a minute-by-basis, and I'm trying to create a line chart showing occupancy. 

I have 2 tables. One is a "Project Date/Time" table that includes every minute of a project, similar to this: 

kbryantUSL_0-1707939120328.png

The other is a trip log table that has columns for time in/out: 

kbryantUSL_1-1707939189580.png

I'm trying to create a new calculated table that has the DateTime minutes as rows, the trip IDs as columns, and a value of 1 for every minute between Time in/out. My plan is to then SUMX the table and make the vis based on that. Conceptually, it would look like this: 

kbryantUSL_2-1707939520880.png

I'm open to suggestions on alternate methods, but ultimately, I'll need a scalar/discrete number for each minute, as I'll need that value for some other metrics.

(If it helps, I'm recreating the logic from a Tableau report using this calc:  IF [DateTime] >= [Time In] AND [DateTime] < [Time Out] THEN 1 ELSE 0. I think this only worked because of how Tableau uses "Relationships" instead of Joins, but I'm at a loss as to how to recreate that here).

Thanks a million!!

2 REPLIES 2
mh2587
Super User
Super User

OccupancyMeasure = //Try this
SUMX (
    FILTER (
        'Trip Log',
        'Project Date/Time'[DateTime] >= 'Trip Log'[Time In]
        && 'Project Date/Time'[DateTime] < 'Trip Log'[Time Out]
    ),
)

Did I answer your question? If so, please mark my post as a solution!

Proud to be a Super User!

LinkedIn Icon
Muhammad Hasnain

Hi Muhammad - Thanks for your reply! 
This doesn't work for me - It can't reference the date/time column and I get this error: 
A single value for column 'DateTime' in table 'Project Date/Time' cannot be determined. This can happen when a measure formula refers to a column that contains many values

Is this due to the relationship? My tables have a straightforward 1:* join:

kbryantUSL_1-1707943809044.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
LearnSurvey

Fabric certifications survey

Certification feedback opportunity for the community.

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.