Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

midmurali
Helper I
Helper I

Creating Calculated Table with Shift Hours

Hi all,

I have a dataset that looks like the one below. (Below is a sample of my real data):

midmurali_0-1671103467374.png

As you can see, for every unique employee and date combination, we have four sets of times. Shift Start time, Break Start time, Break End time and Shift End time.

I want a seperate calculated table that has the total shift hours for every unique employee - date combination. Shift hours is calculated as Shift End time minus Shift Start time minus 30 minutes.

The desired output for my sample is below:

midmurali_1-1671103670526.png

It doesn't matter if the solution is on Power Query level. As long as I get the desired output I'm happy.

Any help is highly appreciated. 

Thanks a lot in advance!

Midhun

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@midmurali  indeed, there are some misconderation and i have updated the reply. see if it is torwards the target. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
FreemanZ
Super User
Super User

Hi   @midmurali 

try to create a table with:
SumTable =
ADDCOLUMNS(
    SUMMARIZE(
        TableName,
        TableName[Date],
        TableName[Emp Number]
    ),
    "Shift Hours",
    CALCULATE(MAX(TableName[Time]))-
    CALCULATE(MIN(TableName[Time]))-1/48
)

i tried and it worked like this:
FreemanZ_0-1671105228005.png

Hi @FreemanZ ,

I am trying the SUMMARIZE() approach but i think you misunderstood the shift hours thing. I think your logic prints the difference between the largest and smallest times in the entire dataset.

My shift hours logic is Shift End minus Shift Start minus 30 mins, where Shift Start and Shift End are times for each employee for that particular day. (see sample data I posted above).

Kind regards,

Midhun

@midmurali  indeed, there are some misconderation and i have updated the reply. see if it is torwards the target. 

Hey @FreemanZ 

Looks like I was wrong about the CALCULATE() bit. Seems to be working fine!

Thanks a lot

@midmurali if you feel more comfortable with measure + visual, you may also plot a table visual with a measure like this:

ShiftHours = MAX(TableName[Time])- MIN(TableName[Time])-1/48

i tried and it worked like this:
FreemanZ_0-1671157052362.png

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.