Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Register now to learn Fabric in free live sessions led by the best Microsoft experts. From Apr 16 to May 9, in English and Spanish.

aggiebrown
Helper III
Helper III

Creating Buckets based on Date DIFF formula that calculates by filtering two different tables

Hi all,

Need help with a simple measure (I think) 

New to DAX (swtiching from EXCEL Formulas gives me a bit of a headache).

I need to calculate how many Accounts, that had a sale and have been placed on Retention plan, have then been cancelled. From there I want to see the period in which they have been cancelled (eliminating any negative calc, as obv issue with data, but I can just filter that out), and from there bucket those periods to 0-30 days, 31-60 days, 61-90 days and 90+

I have been able to achieve the Cancellation count, and Date Diff, but I am struggling to get to the bucket end of it. Tried to create a measure for Cancellation Buckets, as Text String, and also count based on the [#Cancelled within x days] measure with no success.

Sample data is provided, your help would be greatly appreciatd.

aggiebrown_0-1622710945391.pngaggiebrown_1-1622710954271.png

Sample Data to Download 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @aggiebrown  ,  

Do you mean to sum up [# Cancelletions on Retention Plan],if so,you could create measures by the following formula:

Cancelled #30 Days2 = SUMX(FILTER(ALL('Acc_ID'),[# Cancelled within x days]<=30),[# Cancelletions on Retention Plan])
Cancelled #61-90 Days2 = SUMX(FILTER(ALL('Acc_ID'),[# Cancelled within x days]<=90&&[# Cancelled within x days]>60),[# Cancelletions on Retention Plan])
Cancelled #90+ Days = SUMX(FILTER(ALL('Acc_ID'),[# Cancelled within x days]>90),[# Cancelletions on Retention Plan])

The final output is shown below:  

v-yalanwu-msft_1-1623202587019.png

if not ,Can you share the result and logic you want?

Best Regards,
Community Support Team_ Yalan Wu
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
v-yalanwu-msft
Community Support
Community Support

Hi @aggiebrown  ,  

You could create measures by the following formula:

Cancelled #30 Days2 = COUNTX(FILTER(ALL('Acc_ID'),[# Cancelled within x days]<=30),[# Cancelled within x days])
Cancelled #61-90 Days2 = COUNTX(FILTER(ALL('Acc_ID'),[# Cancelled within x days]<=90&&[# Cancelled within x days]>60),[# Cancelled within x days])
Cancelled #90+ Days = COUNTX(FILTER(ALL('Acc_ID'),[# Cancelled within x days]>90),[# Cancelled within x days])

v-yalanwu-msft_0-1623141990139.png

Best Regards,
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

@v-yalanwu-msft Many thanks for that, we are almost there but it needs to calc the actual #cancellations so there is 8 Cancellations within 30 days in that example if that makes sense?

aggiebrown_0-1623152426431.png

Hi @aggiebrown  ,  

Do you mean to sum up [# Cancelletions on Retention Plan],if so,you could create measures by the following formula:

Cancelled #30 Days2 = SUMX(FILTER(ALL('Acc_ID'),[# Cancelled within x days]<=30),[# Cancelletions on Retention Plan])
Cancelled #61-90 Days2 = SUMX(FILTER(ALL('Acc_ID'),[# Cancelled within x days]<=90&&[# Cancelled within x days]>60),[# Cancelletions on Retention Plan])
Cancelled #90+ Days = SUMX(FILTER(ALL('Acc_ID'),[# Cancelled within x days]>90),[# Cancelletions on Retention Plan])

v-yalanwu-msft_1-1623202587019.png

if not ,Can you share the result and logic you want?

Best Regards,
If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

That has worked - thank you!

amitchandak
Super User
Super User

@aggiebrown , You need to have datediff column on some common dimension say order number

average(values(Order[Order ID], datediff(min(Sales[salesdate]), max(account[cancel date]), day))

refer  my blog for that: https://community.powerbi.com/t5/Community-Blog/Decoding-Direct-Query-in-Power-BI-Part-2-Date-Differ...

Once you have this measure; create an independent bucket with start and end limit. You have to create new measures that can use this bucket.

I have explained the same here

Dynamic Segmentation, Bucketing or Binning: https://youtu.be/CuczXPj0N-k

@amitchandak Hey, I saw your video, but you're creating an extra table, which I don't want to do. I want to be able to achieve this with a measures instead.

If you open my sample, you will see I already have a date diff calculation that works. I just need help with bucketing based on that. The data model is not a snowflake - there is 2 data tables that need to be filtered out.

Helpful resources

Announcements
Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Microsoft Fabric Learn Together

Covering the world! 9:00-10:30 AM Sydney, 4:00-5:30 PM CET (Paris/Berlin), 7:00-8:30 PM Mexico City

PBI_APRIL_CAROUSEL1

Power BI Monthly Update - April 2024

Check out the April 2024 Power BI update to learn about new features.

April Fabric Community Update

Fabric Community Update - April 2024

Find out what's new and trending in the Fabric Community.